Banned

Drive belt issues...

Ser# 1B962471

Hey guys, just wondering if the belt tensioner spring will weaken over time? I'm noticing the drive belt is slipping down the alternator pully? I just replaced the belt, I noticed today it has slipped down a little....

thx

2. Member
    That's a grooved belt. It should not "slip down" unless it is misaligned. Is the belt centered on ALL pulleys before this happens? Does it slip down on ALL pulleys when the problem happens? Have you looked carefully to verify that after the belt is installed correctly, are ALL the angles perfect? IE is the belt at 90 degrees to each and every pulley centerline? Or does one (say the tensioner) look out of line. The most common reasons for this center around the four pulleys (flywheel, tensioner pulley, alternator pulley and air compressor pulley.

A quick check is to remove the belt and then check each pulley for an side play (wobble). Yes, including the flywheel as the thing can get loose if not properly torqued, and then start to wobble.

A weak tensioner spring (pretty rare) would show up as a different problem most commonly. Belt slipping is first, belt breaking (due to slippage) is another.

Tensioner failure is not that uncommon on automobiles, but their belts run over a lot more things (crank, alternator, water pump, power steering pump, air conditioning compressor). Usually the first clue of a failure is the tensioner getting noisy. Fortunately the merc powerhead is very simple in this regard. You can always crank it on the muffs and eyeball it to see if something looks off.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have seen one (1) "weak" tensioner spring, and a handful of "broken" springs.

A quick/simple check: Put an torque wrench on the tensioner "square" that's used to relieve the tension for belt install. Set the torque wrench for 70 lbs/in (that's INCH). You should get a signal of 70 lbs/in somewhere in the travel of the tensioner (before it reaches the alternator bracket).

What part number belt did you install?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I have seen one (1) "weak" tensioner spring, and a handful of "broken" springs.

A quick/simple check: Put an torque wrench on the tensioner "square" that's used to relieve the tension for belt install. Set the torque wrench for 70 lbs/in (that's INCH). You should get a signal of 70 lbs/in somewhere in the travel of the tensioner (before it reaches the alternator bracket).

What part number belt did you install?
    not sure of the part number... I gave dealer my serial number they gave me belt. It's possible it may have been miss aligned, but it's pretty straight forward install. I used the boat today and didn't notice any belt slipping. So maybe when I reset it back in it was properly aligned? If your saying the spring failing is uncommon then I have no idea... my alternator also seized up, was told that was uncommon as well...

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unless you have water spraying around inside the cowling... it would be very unusual for the alternator to seize.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Banned
    Unless you have water spraying around inside the cowling... it would be very unusual for the alternator to seize.
    Bone dry, not a drop of water. I did have a belt shred last season, so I'm wondering if the parts of the belt and dust did it in...?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Who knows... but I doubt that to be the case.

8. Banned
    Who knows... but I doubt that to be the case.
    Ok thanks for the info. I double checked the area again, bone dry so I have no idea.