97 viper cobra 201D Transom Questions

So, I have a 97 201D. Had it out a couple weeks ago and thought I noticed slight movement in the transom. Took it by a buddy of mine who's a marine tech. He had me stand on the cavitation plate and when I did, there was very slight movement if I jumped a bit with my weight on it. Not a literal jump, but you get what I mean. He looked at the transom and told me the transom itself looked solid and not rotted, but that the movement was from where the knee braces attach to the transom. Said he didn't think they did a great job putting a lot of glass on it towards the top of the knee brace. I peeked in there and did see a couple stress cracks on both sides of one of the knee braces at the top. Now I have another buddy that does glass work. He said he could add more glass around the knee braces , and how he does it should be plenty strong enough to fix the issue. I'm just wondering if that sounds like the way to go, or a bad idea?

Also the first buddy said I should get rid of my jack plate. I only have an 8" jack plate so personally I don't think I need to get rid of it. Running a 3.0 L 250 pro XB on it, so there is more weight from the motor than a 2.5L. I had a dealer that used to sell cobras tell me not to run a 10" jack plate. that 10" jack plates used to ruin cobra transoms. Something about the vibration that a 10" plate caused, but 8", and 12" were fine. I have never heard or saw anything about that anywhere else with cobras, but who knows.

2. Member

THere used ot be a guy on here that experimented with all kinds of props and lengths of jackplates. He said a 12" JP will wake up the top end speed, allows the front to lift a little more which is needed on a Cobra and puts the prop in the sweet spot as the water comes up behind the boat at speed. Hole shot should improve as well. As for the guy advising to take the JP off the boat, how many beers did he have when he told you that? Hahaha!