Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's coming out of my motor?

2019 Mercury 115 Pro XS 4-stroke
    #2B672959

Notice an oil slick a couple of weeks ago and couldn't tell if it was coming from my boat or dock.

Took it back out the other day. Backed trailer/boat into water, float it off and tied onto the dock. Sure as hell looks like it's coming out of the motor somewhere.

Here are pictures of when I had it on the dock. The motor hasn't been started yet. It was just sitting there tied off. It dissipated after about 10 mins or so and I didn't see anymore.

Then I started the motor and looked out the back. And saw slick forming again. So here's a video of it.

When I get out onto the water, I do not see this at all. I'll stay in the back when it's still and nothing. Start the motor and nothing. From the video, it looks pretty obvious it's coming from the motor. I'm thinking it's coming out of the pee hole on the side. I don't think it's coming out of the prop. In the video, motor is in neutral. I wonder if it has something to do with being tilted up, then down.

Motor has 8.3 hrs on it now.

2. Banned
    Residue.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you idle a lot the last time you were out on the water?

I personally would recommend at least having this checked. Fuel or oil appear to be present there....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Did you idle a lot the last time you were out on the water?

I personally would recommend at least having this checked. Fuel or oil appear to be present there....
    No I don't idle too much. I usually run WOT for 30-60 secs, then cruise at about 4K until I get back to the ramp or fishing location.

I've looked inside the cowling and nothing is obvious with leaks. The bottom has areas with a light coat of oil or grease. No puddles or signs of pooling.

How does this work with a new boat and motor?

Is it like cars where they are labor and parts are covered for diagnostics and such?

I've emailed my dealer the day but haven't heard back. I think they've been busy doing a Vexus demo this past week.

5. Member
    Well shit. I just found out the dealer I bought my boat from is shutting down that location. This dealer had 2 locations in WA. They are consolidating to just their main store, which is now 4 hrs away. They made this announcement 3 days ago. No wonder nobody there is emailing back.

6. Member
    Brand new motor I would bring it back and let them check it out something is leaking, you will never have peace of mind until you do.

7. Member
    That's the magic of Mercury warranties. You can take to any Merc dealer.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by satbeachbill View Post
    That's the magic of Mercury warranties. You can take to any Merc dealer.
    +1... Pick a dealer in your local area and form a relationship with them.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I would check the tilt/trim cylinder and pump for leaks. Mercury's are bad about this. Tilt the engine up so you can get to it. Run a white paper towel around every thing good. You will know there is a leak because the fluid is red. It doesn't take much to make a slick.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

10. Member
    Alright, I took the boat out this morning and first thing was check the oil level and it's at about 3/4 in the safe zone. I've had my motor vertical since it's been freezing overnight this past week. I opened the cowling and looked around inside again but not seeing anything obvious still. I raised the motor and looked around the trim cylinder and rod. Oil free all around. There's a yellowish cap near the bottom of the cylinder but it was on tight and solid. No signs of any leak.

Then these 2 beads caught my eye. Looks like oil to me. Or maybe oil separation from the grease? You guys tell me. It was pretty thick but then again, it was 40 degrees this morning. See how it's plump on the paper towel.

I couldnt tell where it was coming from. I didn't see a trail for it but I was on the port side. I looked underneath the gap on the top drip and I just assumed it came from inside there somewhere.

Got to the lake and launched. Got the same slick when I started the motor.

When I finished up and got backed onto the trailer and was putting things away, I thought maybe I should check the oil drain plug. I see the inside of the plug has a bit of foam in it. Is this unusual? I got my wrench and gave it a quick turn. It was on pretty tight already. It did tighten just a tiny bit. Maybe a few degrees only. I didn't want to overtighten it since it felt pretty snug.

I'm gonna email the local authorized Mercury dealer and see what they say and what the process is. I wonder if they are backed up or not this time of the year.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely get it in to your dealer to have the leak diagnosed.

If the engine contains Mercury/Quicksilver oil, it will show up under UV Leak Detection Light (and glasses).

12. Member
    Looks like engine oil to me. You on the east or west side?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    I'm in the west side. Just dropped off the boat at a Mercury shop.

While going around the boat, look what I spotted. Looks like it's most likely leaking from the drain plug.

It's been sitting for 2 days and that's all that formed. So whatever it is, it's a very slow leak.

14. Member
    Too far for any Merc shop recommendations I'd have.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Member
    Did you give it a little snug ? The seal is a bit touchy if backed out too far, they say.

16. Member
    Mercury dealer just called. They confirmed it's leaking from the drain and it's covered under warranty. Ordered the parts, should receive in 3-4 days.

Asked since oil leaked out, if there was any sign of water intrusion. They said they drained it and saw no signs. It'll get refilled under water. So basically a free oil change lol.

17. Member
    Bingo! And on top of all that, you now have a relationship with a new dealer.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Mercury dealer just called. They confirmed it's leaking from the drain and it's covered under warranty. Ordered the parts, should receive in 3-4 days.

Asked since oil leaked out, if there was any sign of water intrusion. They said they drained it and saw no signs. It'll get refilled under water. So basically a free oil change lol.

I'm glad you got it figured out. For future reference, I've had good luck with Tacoma Marine. They only work on Merc's.

19. Member
    The 22nd and still no boat back. Hmmm.

I wonder if I got put on the back burner since it's just warranty work and they are busy with the winterizing rush.

20. Member
    Have you talked to them recently? What did they say?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast