What does this label mean?

First trailer with brakes.

So just what am I suppose to feel for? When I push upwards on the circled part, it just goes up. If the brakes are locked up, it won't?

3. Member
    Well then, push it up, and get a pin in that hole.

4. Mechanical Engineer mikesxpress's Avatar
    John when you remove the trailer from the tow vehicle the actuator needs to be pulled fully forward prior to disconnecting. That is the recommend storage position for all surge brake actuators. It's in the manual. As far as the push up to release tab goes, if everything is operating correctly and the actuator is fully extended when you drop it on the ball, you should never have to push that tab.
    <3% of the fisherman catch >97% of the fish. © Sorry it's hereditary.

5. Member
    ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    John when you remove the trailer from the tow vehicle the actuator needs to be pulled fully forward prior to disconnecting. That is the recommend storage position for all surge brake actuators. It's in the manual. As far as the push up to release tab goes, if everything is operating correctly and the actuator is fully extended when you drop it on the ball, you should never have to push that tab.
    This^^^. But, the key word here is SHOULD. However, every time that I hook up my trailer and run through my checklist, I always push on the tab just to make absolutely certain that the brakes are released. It's a small task that takes only a second to ward off a big problem.
    Half the world's problems are caused by people not doing their jobs and the other half are caused by people minding someone else's business.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Well then, push it up, and get a pin in that hole.
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    What is this actuator and how do I know if it's pulled fully forward or not? There's a recommended storage position? lol. Oh man. What have I gotten myself into.

Maybe I'm thinking this is more complicated than it seems to be.

What I back up to my trailer and hook up, I just drop it onto the ball, close the latch, lock it. Then connect the tow harness, safety cables, and I think the emergency brake pull cord.

When I'm done, I do not mess with anything. I just back into my spot and reverse all the previous steps. Raise the jack and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    This^^^. But, the key word here is SHOULD. However, every time that I hook up my trailer and run through my checklist, I always push on the tab just to make absolutely certain that the brakes are released. It's a small task that takes only a second to ward off a big problem.
    So that part I circled, if it goes upwards, that means the brakes are released? So if the brakes are locked, you can push upwards on that tab?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    First trailer with brakes.
    I recommend that you consider reading the OWNER’S MANUAL AND USER’S INSTRUCTIONS.

https://trailmastertrailers.com/wp-c...aintenance.pdf
    “One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions.” ― Wernher von Braun

9. Member
    I stand corrected. Ed Hahn is right the hole in the picture is for locking the coupler to the hitch ball NOT for locking out the brakes.

I have surge brakes on my trailer and have never had an issue with them locking up. However you should NOT put a pin in the hole in your picture unless you wish to completely disable your surge breaks. The hole in the picture is for locking the actuator so that it does not slide at all thus disabling the brakes. The pin referred to on the sticker is for securing the coupler to the ball on your hitch. I have a lock which I insert to secure the coupler to the ball to prevent someone stealing my trailer while parked at the ramp.
    Last edited by joe3buck3; 10-29-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb thrust 45” shaft
    Hummbird Helix 12si chirp on console
    Lowrance Hook2-9 Tripleshot on bow
    Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    The hole in the picture is for locking the actuator so that it does not slide at all thus disabling the brakes.
    I recommend that you consider reading the OWNER’S MANUAL AND USER’S INSTRUCTIONS.

https://trailmastertrailers.com/wp-c...aintenance.pdf
    “One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions.” ― Wernher von Braun

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    What is this actuator and how do I know if it's pulled fully forward or not? There's a recommended storage position? lol. Oh man. What have I gotten myself into.

Maybe I'm thinking this is more complicated than it seems to be.

What I back up to my trailer and hook up, I just drop it onto the ball, close the latch, lock it. Then connect the tow harness, safety cables, and I think the emergency brake pull cord.

When I'm done, I do not mess with anything. I just back into my spot and reverse all the previous steps. Raise the jack and leave.

So that part I circled, if it goes upwards, that means the brakes are released? So if the brakes are locked, you can push upwards on that tab?
    Correct. If you can easily push up on that tab, the brakes are released. If it is difficult to push up on that tab, the brakes are partially applied and can drag and get hot when towing.

Now, to address the other issues noted here.

First, here's a layman's description of how your surge brakes work. When you are towing and apply the brakes at a stop sign, the weight of the trailer will push the trailer forward and compress the actuator. The main part of the trailer slides forward and compresses the front/out end of the trailer that contains the coupler. This causes the hydraulic fluid to be pushed back to the brake calipers, applying the brakes. When you accelerate away from the stop sign, the truck pulls against the coupler and pulls the front end of the trailer tongue outward, relieving the pressure on the actuator, causing the brakes to release.

Second, next time you are towing, try this in your driveway or at the ramp. Accelerate and then apply the brakes and stop. Get out and look at the trailer tongue. It will be compressed. If you reach under the trailer tongue and try to push that tab, it will be difficult to push. Then, block the wheels of the trailer and gently pull forward. Now, get out and look at the trailer tongue. It will be extended. If you push the tab under the trailer tongue, it should be easy to push, indicating that the brakes are released. When you get home and unhook the boat from your truck, you want to be sure that your trailer tongue is extended so that there is no pressure being applied to the brakes when the trailer is just sitting.

Third, the hole to the right of the warning label in your top pic is for a lock. BE CERTAIN that you insert a pad lock or a trailer coupler lock into the hole BEFORE you tow!!! Otherwise, if you hit a bad bump and the coupler should pop loose, you trailer can jump off of the ball and VERY BAD things can happen very quickly. NEVER EVER tow without a coupler lock in place.

Hope this helps!
    Half the world's problems are caused by people not doing their jobs and the other half are caused by people minding someone else's business.

12. Member
    Thanks all.

I do use a lock for the latch pin hole. So no worries there.

It was the brakes warning I didn't understand. The manual makes sense.