Rough idle question-plugs?

2017 ProXS...having a rough idle when cold starting and takes me a couple tries to get it started. Eventually smooths out. Motor runs great at high speeds, very smooth. Seems like it is starving for gas when starting in between fishing spots. Have to give it some gas in order to keep it going.

Dealer is going through trial/error now. No alarms.

Could it be the spark plugs even though it runs great at high speeds?

thanks for the help!

Yes could be as well as a hundred other things
    Please read forum announcement's and provide all required info esp. serial number
    Get a printout from the dealer that is taken during the rough idle condition, how many hours on the motor and is there still warrany involved
    Trial and error method? you need a better technician on this job
    Compression, spark and all fuel/air pressures test performed first and post actual test results as well as reed inspection, not just test good
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Could be plugs, nicked reeds, and on and on. IE could be something as simple as incorrect spark gap. Optimaxes are pretty particular about how their plugs are gapped. Most common complaint is poor idle.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    I changed out my spark plugs 3 weeks ago. My initial start at the lake was very rough idle. I figured it was gas. Pumped it and tried starting again. With a rough idle, i put it into drive and it died. Tried it again but then let it warm up. While it idled rough, driving around was completely fine. I rechecked my gapping and made them smaller. Problem was fixed. I have a 2014 Pro SX 2 stroke.

Water in gas maybe?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Yes could be as well as a hundred other things
    Please read forum announcement's and provide all required info esp. serial number
    Get a printout from the dealer that is taken during the rough idle condition, how many hours on the motor and is there still warrany involved

Trial and error method? you need a better technician on this job
    Compression, spark and all fuel/air pressures test performed first and post actual test results as well as reed inspection, not just test good
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCfishing View Post
    2017 ProXS...having a rough idle when cold starting and takes me a couple tries to get it started. Eventually smooths out. Motor runs great at high speeds, very smooth. Seems like it is starving for gas when starting in between fishing spots. Have to give it some gas in order to keep it going.

Dealer is going through trial/error now. No alarms.

Could it be the spark plugs even though it runs great at high speeds?

thanks for the help!
    Good starting point would be to tell us which ProXS you have (and if it's a V6 model, it should be in one of the below forums).

Serial number is also very helpful.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Update****

Serial: 2B361294

2017 Mercury Pro XS—2 stroke 6 cylinder

approximately 180 hours on motor. And yes full warranty still.

Before I brought it to my dealer, I noticed some oil around the smaller cap on my oil tank. The cap that connects to my remote oil fill.
    I notified them about it. Their entire answer was the spark plugs and didn’t find any issues with the cap. My dealer sucks and will be going to another for warranty work. I ran the boat today for the first time and the motor still runs the same...rough idle, stalling, starving for gas. Runs great at top end though.

Also noticed more oil on the oil cap. Seems like I’m losing my vacuum with this oil leaking out. It doesn’t look cross threaded and the cap is very tight. How do I get this to stop leaking? I would imagine this is why I’m getting trouble from the motor.

9. Member
    Have the spark plugs (there are other items see link below) been replaced at the recommended interval of annually or 100hrs whichever comes first?

Is the oil leak at the small cap on the engine (reserve tank), the remote tank (in boat), or remote fill cap? In any case, I don't think this has anything at all to do with your poor idle issue.

A few topics from the FAQ at top of the 2.5L forum which, btw, is correct one for your engine...

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engine
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also- keep in mind that the Factory Warranty expired back in September. You are now under a Platinum Product Protection Plan (which does not cover "everything", even though it is the highest level offered).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Thanks guys, it is leaking from the larger oil tank in my boat. I fog the motor every winter but replace with new plugs in the spring.
    My question is since I am leaking some oil doesn’t this mean my system is not pressurized and I am losing my vacuum?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A leak at the remote tank will result in lower (or complete loss of) pressure in the remote tank. That pressure is what delivers oil from the remote tank to the engine-mounted tank.

This can also affect the pressure and vacuum pulses in the crankcase (specifically #6).

13. Member
    Update:

brought my boat to another mercury tech who was great..he hooked it up to the computer and looked through everything in front of me. He noticed my main belt was jumping all over the place. We took it off and it was bent out of shape. Also alternator was jumping all over the place. The bushings and bracket that held the alternator in place were pretty badly damaged and was digging in to the bracket. I have pictures but can’t figure out how to post them here. Also, apparently who ever worked on the motor last (bass pro who sucks) forgot to put back a small piece of the covering underneath the cowl. He said that could have caused grease to get on the belt and also cause it damage/Jump around while running. One thing he will be checking also is the tracker valve. All those parts are on order so I’m hoping this fixes my issue. I also showed him where I was getting my leak from at the oil tank, although he didn’t think that was my issue, he is going to look into it.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't know how many hours you have on this- but it's really considered mandatory to change that belt by 4 years/400 hours (sooner if there is evidence of stretching).

Once it becomes stretched, the tensioner tends to hit the alternator bracket, and things start coming apart.

15. Member
    Thanks for that info..I did not know that..I just hit 200 hours—-2017 Pro XS