Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger 361V 1992 model

1992Ranger 361V buying this boat 150 XRI on the back is this a good boat it’s a little rough and I’ve got to replace all the bunks what else can I expect

2. Member
    That was probably the best of the 300 series. Some wood in the decks so check those,especially around the drains.

3. Member
    361V is the most desired. I think it's because they have double stepped hulls as opposed to single stepped like the other 300 series. '92 means it's got a composite transom, Ranger was one of the first to go all composite no wood on their transoms. Decks might still have plywood, but if you don't have any soft spots then you're fine.

ASSUMING HULL AND MOTOR ARE IN GOOD CONDITION:
    - You should expect is a very stable ride and fishing platform. You should be able to get mid 50s easy, and if you're dialed in right with a jackplate, can possibly go 60+.
    - You should also expect an extremely durable and well built boat. They really don't make them like that anymore, and there's a reason why you still see a plethora of them around.
    - You should expect to be tournament ready. As I mentioned it's got good top speed. It's a 17'10" boat that can touch 60, I mean come on haha. Large single livewell at the back that can hold 5 easy. I believe your model year has the raised front deck to make it flush with the back deck. My old 375v had a front deck that was lower. Yours is preferable. Can do everything that newer ones do EXCEPT.....
    - You should expect less deck space and storage than newer boats. Nothing wrong with it, it's just how boats were back in the day. You can build an extended deck with a compartment. You can drill holes in the front rod locker to fit modern rods. This is the biggest downside to these boats and why I upgraded. I just simply outgrew them in terms of amount of gear. The front deck will also seem cramped in comparison to modern boats. However, for 95% of recreational fisherman, this boat will be just fine.
    - You should expect to comfortably fish one other person MAX.

I loved my 1987 375v, was a great rig, and I could fish almost anywhere with it. Your 361v should be faster, more durable, and have more storage stock. ENJOY! And post a picture please.

4. Member
    I just saw that you said "its a little rough". That's a broad statement. In my experience, that phrase can mean minor gel coat damage all the way to transom flex. So make sure that the hull especially the transom is rock solid, and that the motor works great.

5. Member
    It has a couple of spots on the top cap but overall it has a extended dec jack plat and is running a high five any answers about prop how about a 4 blade tempest

I bought a new 361 in April of 91. Boat was built like a tank and rode just about the same. You will get wet. I had that boat in stuff it should never have been in. It never let me down. Had a 175 Merc. The speeds others have said are way slow from what mine would run. I ran a High Five so not the fastest prop but have seen 72mph with just me and very light load. Full tourney load and 2 190lb guys, 65-66mph. They fish great and very stable, just rough riding and wet.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

7. Member
    Make sure you get the motor really checked out . The XRI is light years from motors now . Either disconnect oil tank and mix your oil yourself . The 361 was very popular .

I have owned the dual console brother to the 361 for 30 years. My 362 is the one I will take to the grave unless my rich uncle gets out of jail. I run a 150 Yamaha and get 60mph with 2 heavy fishermen & gear. I run a 25p - 3 blade prop mounted on a 10 inch jack plate.

9. Member
    I own a 1996 364. Have owned it for 20yrs. The front deck is a little lower and not as large as a 361. There is a little more floor room because of this and I like that about it.

My 1996 Johnson Faststrike blew in April and I am going to repower soon. 300 series are awesome boats. Just get it to a dealer and checked out good.

10. Member
    thanks , do i need the side rail bunks or can i leave them off , both Skeeters i had didnt have them and because their rusted pretty bad also i need to get the trolling motor off the deck and put a rubber isolators on it so it wont crack the front

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT@1954 View Post
    thanks , do i need the side rail bunks or can i leave them off ,
    The side rail bunks on my 362V are essential - it centers the boat up perfectly every time, no matter how poorly I set the trailer in. The only rust I have is around the stainless acorn nuts that hold the bunk boards on - I suspect a galvanic reaction. In my case, it's cosmetic, and can wait for a full repaint someday.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

I agree with bassboat1 on keeping the side rails. It may be a calm day and you don't need them, just get the keel between the two center bunks and it will normally line up and center itself. But, its not always calm or you loading in a swift cross current then that's when you're glad you have the rails. On rough situations, I don't back the trailer as far into the water and use the rails as guides. Its a drive on trailer - not a float on. On windy/wavy days it may take a couple of approaches to load but that 361 and ranger trailer will do their job..... you just need to do yours and keep control.

If you're going to pull the trolling motor, replace all the isolators. Take a drill with bit that is 1/8 inch larger than the diameter of the holes in the deck. Put the drill in reverse and bevel the hole to below gel coat. This will deter spider cracks in the gel coat.

13. Member
    Hey Thanks I’ll put them on .Oh what about that Mercury 150XRI was it a good motor
    Last edited by MikeT@1954; 10-27-2019 at 09:42 AM.

14. Member
    Hey I know I asked about the side rails what if their rusted can they come off with a wrench and be replaced with the bunks?

15. Member
    We’re can I get the side rail bunk fittings that go on the back step on the trailer?

I took my guides off about 15 years ago or more and have never put them back on. Hard to use the rear step with them on, for me anyway.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT@1954 View Post
    Hey Thanks I’ll put them on .Oh what about that Mercury 150XRI was it a good motor
    Yes indeed. I ran a Trophy 24p 4 blade on mine and got low 60's with full load. Loved my 361. It was SO clean when I sold it to someone I knew. It was to be his first boat so I gave him a smokin deal. I was heart broke when I found out he sold it 6 months later. Probably made a pile of cash on top of it. Is it the smoothest boat ride ever, no, but it will go through just about ANYTHING!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fqj7cpsSg28

18. Member
    You don't need the side bunks. Don't be disappointed if you don't go over 60mph. I love mine.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

19. Member
    Yes I think I’ll take them off my Starfire didn’t have any and neither did my Wrangler

20. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I took mine off of my 374V and have never had a problem with loading the boat in wind or waves, you really don't need them. As long as you hit the center 2 bunks you should be good to go
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast