Broken storage compartment latch

My fishing buddy broke the latch handle off the rear port storage compartment on my Z7 yesterday while trying to open it to store his tackle. I think he tried to open it without first rotating the latch to the unlocked position because the latch broke right at the black plastic (teflon?) piece that attaches it to the rest of the latch and the compartment lid is still in the locked position. So, how do I get the cover open and where can I get another latch assembly? I'll shoot a pic if my explanation isn't clear.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

2. Member
    Drill it out and buy a new latch.

https://www.perko.com/catalog/catego...surface_mount/
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Try to re-attached the handle part by pressing it down against where it was connected and at the same time turn the handle. You should be able to turn the latch 45 degrees to unlock. I'm not sure if you have another lid (livewell?) bordering up right next to it, if so open it up and it will allow you to get a better grip on the lid you are trying to open.

If not you will likely have to get some kind of small profile tool to fit between the edge of the lid and deck (near the middle) so you can get under the edge to pull up. Something like an awl with a bent tip.. Be careful if you try a straight screwdriver to pry it up, don't want to damage the carpet or lid...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Look through the battery compartment, use a screw driver to push the latch around and in.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Look through the battery compartment, use a screw driver to push the latch around and in.
    Haven't thought about that one yet. I'll try it. There is a removable storage box inside which might hinder getting to the latch but it's worth a try.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

6. Member
    Ray,

As of mid year I think I have had to replace all/most of my latches on my 2011 Z8 for breakage over years - I think had a rod locker and one side of the center locker do what yours did. Those were a few year ago but I think I pushed/jammed an old screw driver in the remainder of the plastic (where the handle pivots/connects to the latch) - and was able to turn the actual latch/bar. The latch itself was toast anyway so no additional harm jamming the screw driver in the plastic. They are about $32 or so at my local BPS Nitro parts department but you can get them online as well.

FYI - The plastic on my seemed to degrade/fade over time and then would eventually break - its a quick fix though to swap them once you get the old one out. I kept at least one in my parts bin over the years and swap when needed.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post
    Ray,

As of mid year I think I have had to replace all/most of my latches on my 2011 Z8 for breakage over years - I think had a rod locker and one side of the center locker do what yours did. Those were a few year ago but I think I pushed/jammed an old screw driver in the remainder of the plastic (where the handle pivots/connects to the latch) - and was able to turn the actual latch/bar. The latch itself was toast anyway so no additional harm jamming the screw driver in the plastic. They are about $32 or so at my local BPS Nitro parts department but you can get them online as well.

FYI - The plastic on my seemed to degrade/fade over time and then would eventually break - its a quick fix though to swap them once you get the old one out. I kept at least one in my parts bin over the years and swap when needed.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Thanks, Jonathan for the your experience. At $30+ a shot I hope I don't break many more.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]