Helix 10 2D sonar vs DI

Attachment 380817Attachment 380818

BTW, these are images of a large bait ball.
    Last edited by BrownTrout; 10-24-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Another one:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. bd_skeeter
    Can’t get down image views like this on a solix 15 g2 side image great. Down image good from ultrex mdi but from transom transducer just not good have tried 2 transducers and my 12 at console just not happy with di. Any help?

4. Member
    Some really nice comparison shots. I like viewing both 2d and di, I'm fortunate enough to have 2 units side by side, I use one for SI and the other for map/SI/DI combo. I like using both 2d and DI as they can provide different information. 2d gives me wider coverage and I see some things I may miss with my DI. The DI gives me finer detail, ☺

5. Member
    Nice shots! Hoping to get my Hexix G3N units dialed in like this. I have a few questions.

Really trying to get my transducer mounted level while the boats in the water. Getting close I think. How critical is this?

I noticed your DI shots have different frequency ranges. When and why do you adjust that?

I have trouble with my DI being very close together. A few YouTube videos later and I think I need to increase my chart speed. Seems like they Helix likes 6 or 7 for idling. What do you use?

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

Quote Originally Posted by RoughThumbBG View Post
    Nice shots! Hoping to get my Hexix G3N units dialed in like this. I have a few questions.

Really trying to get my transducer mounted level while the boats in the water. Getting close I think. How critical is this?

I noticed your DI shots have different frequency ranges. When and why do you adjust that?

I have trouble with my DI being very close together. A few YouTube videos later and I think I need to increase my chart speed. Seems like they Helix likes 6 or 7 for idling. What do you use?
    "Best practices" is to NOT change the frequency range. Default is the best range for the included transducer.
    The range is adjustable since there are several transducers that can be used with the units.

The way the images are recorded are determined by the Chart Speed in relation to boat speed. If you want the images relative to boat speed, you match the GPS speed and Chart Speed. If you want the images compressed, you use a slower Chart Speed. If you want the images stretched, you use a faster Chart Speed. Stretched is a good technique to see fish within cover. 2D sonar records stuff larger since the coverage is a lot more=the sonar pulses are on a subject for a longer period of time.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Thanks Wayne,

What chart speed do you like to use when graphing for fish on strucure like points, humps, and drops? Do you use different speeds for SI versus DI, versus 2D?

Do you adjust it based on depth at all? Thinking deeper water leads to larger coverage and fishing being in the cone longer.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

Thanks Wayne,

What chart speed do you like to use when graphing for fish on strucure like points, humps, and drops? Do you use different speeds for SI versus DI, versus 2D?

Do you adjust it based on depth at all? Thinking deeper water leads to larger coverage and fishing being in the cone longer.
    For seeing fish with Imaging, most of the time I will use a faster than GPS Chart Speed=maybe two numbers higher. When vertical fishing I would be using 2D sonar and use the max Chart Speed to get the fastest display update.
    I don't use DI for fishing, I see the same thing on SI and a lot more of it, so no reason to use it other than demo screen shots.

To get a general "lay of the land" I match the GPS and Chart Speed.

As far as SI range I use about three times the depth for detail searching in deeper than 15'. Less than 15' I use 50'. For just general searching I will set the range to have about 1/4 of each side as the water column and that gives me 3/4 of each side to show "stuff". The exception to that is a particular detail I want to see, I use enough range to cover that feature, like traveling in a straight line along the path of a creek channel that changes directions often:

If I see anything interesting, I will rescan using a shorter SI range to get more detail.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. bd_skeeter
    I to have a 15 g2 solix which does not show fish on down imaging as good as my old helix di unit did I get little vertical lines u can barely see instead of little cotton ball looking blobs I was use to looking at. Get a good pic once on trolling motor with my 10 solix g2 down only unit. I could use help here also. Any info would be great. Transducer mounted on transsheild on 12" atlas jackplate with their l bracket

Quote Originally Posted by bd_skeeter View Post
    I to have a 15 g2 solix which does not show fish on down imaging as good as my old helix di unit did I get little vertical lines u can barely see instead of little cotton ball looking blobs I was use to looking at. Get a good pic once on trolling motor with my 10 solix g2 down only unit. I could use help here also. Any info would be great. Transducer mounted on transsheild on 12" atlas jackplate with their l bracket
    I would guess if you want to still see the cotton ball looking blobs, use 455 kHz instead of the MEGA frequency. The point of the MEGA frequency is higher detail/sharper images.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bd_skeeter View Post
    I have the same issues with DI. Fish are very small vertical dashes very close together. That is why I was asking about chart speed. Thinking faster chart speed will elongate the fish, and separate them out a little better.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

I have the same issues with DI. Fish are very small vertical dashes very close together. That is why I was asking about chart speed. Thinking faster chart speed will elongate the fish, and separate them out a little better.
    Yes using a fast chart speed elongates the images. Good technique to see fish in cover.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL