lets talk Treestand safety harnesses

I have been doing some research lately as I am getting back into bowhunting and am undecided on what harness to purchase...I did find a few people have been using rock climbing harnesses as they dont require shoulder straps or anything.. what is everyone using? what do you like/dislike about your setup?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Seems like a lot of people are going to the rock climbing harness, mostly because it will leave you facing the tree and have more ability to self rescue yourself. I am still using my old hunter safety systems vest. It's very easy to put on and once it's on, I really don't notice it's on me anymore. The only downfall is it is heavy and when it's hot out it can get a little warm.

3. Member
    I have an older Hunter Safety System harness I like. Comfort and movement freedom are a couple of "likes." No "dislikes." When time to replace it I'll more than likely get the same brand.

thanks guys! I have been looking at the HSS Ultra-Lite as it looks like I could just wear it over clothing..I hunt in temps from 50 down to single digits and below so having something that will fit over lots of clothing is important. It looks like a lot of these rock climbing belts are made for only up to 38" waists which won't work with lots of layers of clothing on.

I have the HSS. I wear it under my second top layer and legs go through outside my hunting pants. I don't notice it at all. Depending on the deer position sometimes the connecting strap gets in the elbow room when drawing. One thing I always mention on harness posts is if you're hunting out of a ladder or lock on style stand get a life line to stay attached from the ground up. one saved me from a 20' fall last year.

https://shop.gomuddy.com/the-safeguard/

https://huntersafetysystem.com/produ...ctive-lifeline

This is what I use. The Muddy Outdoors harness and the Hunters Safety System lifeline.

The Muddy Outdoors harness seemed to be a little more finesse for me vs. the HSS harness that I had, and it's easy to conceal under a jacket. I usually put it on after my baselayers and before I put my pants or bibs on and then put a jacket on over top of it when I get to the stand. You don't really need to get one that goes over top of all your clothes, the lanyard can come out of the top of your shirt, jacket, etc. to eliminate the need for wearing it as an outer layer.

If you're hunting out of a hanging stand I HIGHLY recommend getting the HSS lifeline and hanging it from your tree. It allows you to stay connected 100% of the time while going up and down, as well as stepping into the tree. I just started using them this year and love them.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    I use an older HSS vest too. I prefer the vest over the ultralight because I use the pockets when hanging stands, etc. The only drawback to the older models is the car-type seat buckles. They can get uncomfortable on long walks.

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    I have the HSS. I wear it under my second top layer and legs go through outside my hunting pants. I don't notice it at all. Depending on the deer position sometimes the connecting strap gets in the elbow room when drawing. One thing I always mention on harness posts is if you're hunting out of a ladder or lock on style stand get a life line to stay attached from the ground up. one saved me from a 20' fall last year.
    When you almost fell, were you climbing? I get a tether strap every time I buy a new stand so I leave one of those in place on the tree (add carabiner if not included). Climb up, tie-off, step into stand and hunt. Reverse process when leaving. Do you feel there's a huge safety benefit to being tied-off for the actual climbing?

8. Member
    Been using a rock climbing harness for the last 4 years before that was using a Summit seat of the pants.

9. Member
    I use a rock climbing harness. Won't go back to the other style.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I use an older HSS vest too. I prefer the vest over the ultralight because I use the pockets when hanging stands, etc. The only drawback to the older models is the car-type seat buckles. They can get uncomfortable on long walks.

When you almost fell, were you climbing? I get a tether strap every time I buy a new stand so I leave one of those in place on the tree (add carabiner if not included). Climb up, tie-off, step into stand and hunt. Reverse process when leaving. Do you feel there's a huge safety benefit to being tied-off for the actual climbing?
    I do. There's been a few times where I've climbed up my ladder sticks in the morning with a heavy dew or after a rain and my rubber boots have slipped. It also eliminates having to reach around and grab your lanyard, attach it to the tether strap on the tree when you're standing 20' up in the air in the dark before you step in your stand.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

so for those using rock climbing harnesses what brand/model?

12. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    I use a rock climbing harness. Won't go back to the other style.
    Isn't the strap in the way since your connected in the front?
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post

I had just stepped off my climbing sticks on to stand platform and the stand straps broke. A few years ago a guy in northern Indiana stepped onto his stand and it kicked out from him and he fell 14', broke his neck and was on life support. They unplugged him and he left behind a wife and two kids. That very day I spent over $300 on life lines for all my stands and will not go up a tree without.

14. Member
    I had just stepped off my climbing sticks on to stand platform and the stand straps broke. A few years ago a guy in northern Indiana stepped onto his stand and it kicked out from him and he fell 14', broke his neck and was on life support. They unplugged him and he left behind a wife and two kids. That very day I spent over $300 on life lines for all my stands and will not go up a tree without.
    That sounds like a come-to-Jesus moment alright. I haven't had any such mishaps yet but I came to realize a few years ago that I needed to be tied-off when stepping in or out of the stand since that's the highest risk of falling. For some reason I wasn't always doing that. I mean how often does a stand collapse while you're just sitting in it? I suppose you could fall asleep and topple out of your seat but I seldom need to be tied-off while sitting. On the other hand, putting a tether strap around the tree in the dark is also one of the most dangerous things anyone can be doing so I feel better having a clip waiting for me at the top. Someday I may upgrade to the full life line (or I may just wait until I'm too old to climb anything anyway)

If I ever hunt out of a lock on stand, I will have the HSS on every one. Ladder stands don't bother me and I will use my strap on my climber as well. Used to film for my buddies and they only used lock on stands, they wanted them as high as possible so there would be a decent step up from ladder to the stand. Always made me nervous switching over. Then I would have to climb up on their stand and swing around the tree to get into mine. Always scared me and will never do it now without being strapped in the entire time.

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My son fell 20' when his stand straps failed, Broken back. Lucky to be able to walk now. He is always strapped in now.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Silent Slide!!!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

18. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have been making life lines using climbing rope. Not much cheaper but I like them better. Cost me about $19 each better carabiners and rope. The prusik knot is easy. I use 12mm main line and 8mm for the prusik.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!