RT198p - Something bad just happened...

So during the process of winterizing my rig and preparing for storage, I was about to put Stabil in the fuel and when I tilted the Stabil nozzle into the fuel fill the freakin little cardboard seal fell off the nozzle directly into my fuel fill spout, and it's down there somewhere, I can't see it... It's the shape of a dime but a bit smaller. FUK!!!

Is this something to be concerned about or is there a screen in there that prevents debris or this nature from getting into the system?

OY VEY!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I wish I had an answer for you because I've always worried about those small cardboard seals that easily come off. I'd think that there is a screen on the fuel pick up but you might have to call Ranger. Otherwise, how do you like the boat? Shame you have to winterize it!
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I wish I had an answer for you because I've always worried about those small cardboard seals that easily come off. I'd think that there is a screen on the fuel pick up but you might have to call Ranger. Otherwise, how do you like the boat? Shame you have to winterize it!
    I love it...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

4. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    Look at page 12 of your owners manual. Chances are it has not made it past the Inlet Valve. Can you get to the inlet valve and remove the hose?
    Well, I'm off Friday, so I'll have a look then.
    Thank you!

I'll let you guys know what I find... hope the seal!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Your pickup will have a screen on the bottom. Thats a pretty standard safety item for a boat like this. Also it does not rest totally on the bottom there is at least a 1/4” gap in general on all of them ive had apart both boat and automotive. Thats why running a tank down low is ill advised. The odds of that little disk lining up perfectly as is moving around in there and getting sucked onto the pickup base are slim. Very slim actually its resting on the bottom somewhere in there. Personally i wouldnt worry about it seen worse things dropped in fuel tanks lol. Just learn from it it will be fine. If you so have access to the fuel level sender mount on the tank you can pull that out when the fuel is very low and look around for it. Scope camera would be good here if you want the piece of mind that its gone.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    If you are like me, as long as it is bouncing around down there, you are going to worry about it.

I do not have that boat nor tank, but if there is a fitting that can be removed, and you can access the bottom enough to see the little booger...then a tool like the... flexible claw grabber... might help.

https://amazon.com/NoCry-Pick-up-Tool-Set-Telescoping/dp/B07D23M5R7/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2RCA4GI71HO59&keywords=pickup+too l+grabber&qid=1571905616&sprefix=pick+up+tool%2Cap s%2C189&sr=8-13

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Folks,

Thank you all for your advise and feedback!

I just spoke with the mechanic at my Dealership and they reinforced exactly what Roy states above "chances are very slim..., and don't worry about it..." So that's what i will do.

Roy - your technical expertise and knowledge are respected and appreciated, thank you!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

8. Banned
    "Winterizing"!!! Gunna miss some of the best fishing this year!

9. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    "Winterizing"!!! Gunna miss some of the best fishing this year!
    Hey - I like the new "Handle"...PK195...
    Missing the best fishing - nope, the last 3 weeks have been real good, so I will put the BB away on a positive. I have a 16' Smokercraft as well, for the limited HP stuff around here so I'm still in the game....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

I installed a Fuel/Water Separator for those reasons and because of the high humidity here in NC on the coast. Now would be a good time if you are worried about the debris in the fuel line to install a separator.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I installed a Fuel/Water Separator for those reasons and because of the high humidity here in NC on the coast. Now would be a good time if you are worried about the debris in the fuel line to install a separator.
    That is an interesting thought... Is the separator in the inlet fuel line? Any pictures to provide on your install?

I think for now, I will let it ride. But I will keep the separator idea in the back of my mind. If you could post up a picture, when convenient, it would be appreciated. I will store it away in my folder.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

I got the Stainless Steel Housing, because of the salt water environment I am in! Replacing the filter yearly. ($8 for the filter is well worth it!)

IMG_2637.JPGIMG_2638.JPG
    I made the Aluminum bracket.
    Bought the Separator housing, element, barbed fittings (2), hose splice (barb to barb) (1), hose clamps (4), fuel line (2') and the foam noodle is just to make sure the support does not rub against the Livewell tank.

Hope this helps!

PS: Sucks winterizing your boat now. I caught 9 Stripers (Stripe Bass), and Red Drum this morning. River Water Temperature 70.4
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Member
    I have never owned a boat that did not have a fuel & water separator on it. Best money I ever spent knowing whatever goes into it that is bad will be trapped inside the filter. I have the same one pictured above & it works great.

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    I got the Stainless Steel Housing, because of the salt water environment I am in! Replacing the filter yearly. ($8 for the filter is well worth it!)

IMG_2637.JPGIMG_2638.JPG
    I made the Aluminum bracket.
    Bought the Separator housing, element, barbed fittings (2), hose splice (barb to barb) (1), hose clamps (4), fuel line (2') and the foam noodle is just to make sure the support does not rub against the Livewell tank.

Hope this helps!

PS: Sucks winterizing your boat now. I caught 9 Stripers (Stripe Bass), and Red Drum this morning. River Water Temperature 70.4
    You do nice work!!

I will take a good look at my layout tomorrow. My inlet fuel hose runs (Port side) from the fill nozzle up to the front or side of the tank, I really can't tell at the moment. Where did you couple the smaller diameter hoses into the larger (2-2.5") inlet hose?

Yea it sux winterizing, but we've had a good last 3 weeks, the SM are EATING right now! The salvation is that hardwater is coming.... Hope to be drilling holes before Christmas...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Sorry for the confusion, the separator is between the tank and the motor. This way it will remove the condensate, water, ... from reaching the motor. I will change it once a year along with the filter on the motor.
    I changed the oil, oil filter, motor fuel filter, plugs, lower unit oil, greased all the pivot points, dropped the lower unit to grease all the fasteners, after the first 7 months of ownership. (About 36 hours per Vessel View.) Now I will start the twice a year for the oil, oil filter, lower unit oil, general lube. Yearly for all other stuff including the water pump and plugs.

10-4 on the "Hard water". I am happier than a pig in slop, now that we have had a run of mornings below 70! Leaving now in search of Stripers on the Cape Fear River!
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Sounds Great, knock the Dog Snot out of 'em!!!!

This is how we roll on hardwater, gotta be on first ice to get these dawgs:

2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

17. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Well, as it turns out the G2 has an onboard Filter/Separator, which I will be changing annually...
    This thread was a Great learning experience, Thanks all!

2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Dang, Those are some PIGS!

Finally found some Stripers. Hurricane Florence wiped out the fresh water fishing here in Wilmington NC

Cape Fear Striper 7.5 lbs 10252019 RS.jpg
    Last edited by Mechanic Bob; 10-25-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

19. Goby King
    There's been one of those in my Lund tank for about 12 years or so.

20. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Dang, Those are some PIGS!

Finally found some Stripers. Hurricane Florence wiped out the fresh water fishing here in Wilmington NC

Cape Fear Striper 7.5 lbs 10252019 RS.jpg
    Nice!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop