736 glass vs expride 7'2 glass

Can anyone who's used both of these rods give me a comparison please? I throw chatterbaits a ton, and still looking for that "perfect" rod. I used the 736 a lot this year but no matter how hard i tried i just couldn't like this rod. I mostly wish it had more of a backbone that just shut off, and just a bit more tip action. Just not a fan of that rod at all. Hoping the expride might be closer to what i'm looking for. Right now i'm throwing the tat elite 7'4 randy howell big top and it's alot closer to what i'm looking for, blank shuts down way better than the 736, just wish it had a bit more give in the tip. Thank you for any help!

2. Member
    I have both rods..... If you dislike the 736 you'll really be disappointed in the 7'2 Expride glass. The Expride is even softer than the Dobyns. I know they're pricey but a 853 NRX is a good chatterbait rod.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info! I'm a little discouraged to hear that, while I definitely would like to find a rod softer in the tip than the 736, if the expride is overall softer it wouldn't fit the bill.

Maybe a 735cb glass...
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'm a little discouraged to hear that, while I definitely would like to find a rod softer in the tip than the 736, if the expride is overall softer it wouldn't fit the bill.

5. Member
    the st croix legend glass 7'2" chatterbait rod has a great tip to it. i go between glass and graphite for for chatterbaits but the st croix has a great tip and enough backbone to free the bait through the grass. I have three expride mh glass rods and they are pretty soft in the tip and will work well for lighter cover but ive found 3/8 oz plus trailer on a chatter bait is as much as i would throw with it. the st croix chatterbait rod will handle the 3/8 and upper weights with the chatterbait.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info revo, I'll have to check out the 7'2 heavy glass st croix at the shows this winter. As for the 735 suggestion, I'm sure it has the tip I'm looking for, but I need a blank that has a backbone that shuts off more than the 736. What I'm trying to replace is the old envy black 7'4 crankbait rod. That rod is the most amazing Chatterbait rod I've ever used but I'm down to my last one and that only gets tournament duty. Thanks again guys!

7. Member
    Can anyone who's used both of these rods give me a comparison please? I throw chatterbaits a ton, and still looking for that "perfect" rod. I used the 736 a lot this year but no matter how hard i tried i just couldn't like this rod. I mostly wish it had more of a backbone that just shut off, and just a bit more tip action. Just not a fan of that rod at all. Hoping the expride might be closer to what i'm looking for. Right now i'm throwing the tat elite 7'4 randy howell big top and it's alot closer to what i'm looking for, blank shuts down way better than the 736, just wish it had a bit more give in the tip. Thank you for any help!
    I'm using the 7'4" Randy Howell as well for my dedicated chatter bait rod.I've only lost 2 fish on it this whole season.I want a second setup and may get another but I'm seriously looking into the Alpha Angler Chatterbound.It has a glass tip that transitions to composite blank.I e-mailed the owner and he said it was perfect for ripping grass and keeping fish pinned.

'

8. Member
    you're down to your last envy black? Did they break on you?
    What I'm trying to replace is the old envy black 7'4 crankbait rod. That rod is the most amazing Chatterbait rod I've ever used but I'm down to my last one and that only gets tournament duty. Thanks again guys!
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    you're down to your last envy black? Did they break on you?
    I broke 2 in the last 2 years, my fault both times :(

10. Member
    I really like the Expride.

11. Member
    What I'm trying to replace is the old envy black 7'4 crankbait rod. That rod is the most amazing Chatterbait rod I've ever used but I'm down to my last one and that only gets tournament duty. Thanks again guys!
    Are the new models that much different than the originals?
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/13_F...page-EBCT.html

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS