Bobby8

Vote coming on Texas Prop 5

Texas Proposition 5, the Sales Tax on Sporting Goods Dedicated to Parks, Wildlife, and Historical Agencies Amendment, is on the ballot in Texas as a legislatively referred constitutional amendment on November 5, 2019.[1]
    A "yes" vote supports this constitutional amendment to dedicate revenue from the sales tax on sporting goods to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Historical Commission.
    A "no" vote opposes this constitutional amendment, thus allowing the legislature to decide how much of the revenue from the sales tax on sporting goods is allocated to the state Parks and Wildlife Department and the state Historical Commission.

What would Proposition 5 change?

In Texas, the state legislature is allowed to appropriate revenue from the sales tax (6.25 percent) on sporting goods to the state Parks and Wildlife Department and the state Historical Commission. The Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts is responsible for estimating how much revenue the sales tax on sporting goods generates using a national market data on sporting good sales.[2] According to the Texas Senate Research Center, "the actual appropriation is often much less than the [estimated revenue]."[3]
    Proposition 5 would add language to the Texas Constitution dedicate revenue from the sales tax on sporting goods to the state Parks and Wildlife Department and the state Historical Commission. Whereas the current law allows the legislature to allocate the revenue for other uses, Proposition 5 would require a two-thirds vote in each legislative chamber to reduce the amount for the parks, wildlife, and historical agencies. Furthermore, the ballot measure would prohibit the legislature from decreasing the amount for the parks, wildlife, and historical agencies by more than 50 percent.[1]

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    We need a constitutional amendment to direct the $5 for the freshwater fishing stamp to the TPWD to be used for hatcheries & ramps like we all were told it would be. The TX legislature decided it was needed in the general fund.

3. Bobby8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    We need a constitutional amendment to direct the $5 for the freshwater fishing stamp to the TPWD to be used for hatcheries & ramps like we all were told it would be. The TX legislature decided it was needed in the general fund.
    Well that sucks, did not know that

4. Member
    I'm more concerned about PROP 4. They have made the wording on both Prop 4 and 5 confusing, and there are going to be many that vote the wrong way either because they are elderly and just don't understand, or do not speak and understand our language that will vote the wrong way. The way they have worded the language, you have to vote yes to vote no and say you do not want it. People are just going to see "State Income Tax" and immediately vote NO, which is the WRONG way to vote the way it is worded.
    X

5. Member
    Missouri has a 1/8th cent state sales tax to fund the Missouri Department of Conservation. I believe it was a voter inspired, constitutional amendment to fund the agency, that also prohibits the legislature from shifting funds away too other purposes. Missouri has one of the most professionally run agencies in the country, good luck getting something passed.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeetRJ View Post
    I'm more concerned about PROP 4. They have made the wording on both Prop 4 and 5 confusing, and there are going to be many that vote the wrong way either because they are elderly and just don't understand, or do not speak and understand our language that will vote the wrong way. The way they have worded the language, you have to vote yes to vote no and say you do not want it. People are just going to see "State Income Tax" and immediately vote NO, which is the WRONG way to vote the way it is worded.
    It’s nothing more than a dry bone screwin, they did it for the majority of people that don’t pay attention.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    It’s nothing more than a dry bone screwin, they did it for the majority of people that don’t pay attention.
    I bet your state or county taxes will come down. Also your property taxes want go down. They just screwed everybody here in Bell county Central Texas).

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by whnigt View Post
    I bet your state or county taxes will come down. Also your property taxes want go down. They just screwed everybody here in Bell county Central Texas).
    Not my county, in 7 year my property tax went from 4K to over 10k and they are wanting to raise it some more.

Early voted last week.