Thread: Winterization

Winterization

Quick question have a 2015 Mercury 150 Pro XS, and was planning to start winterizing. Do I have to replace the water fuel separator filter now, or can I replace in the spring. Plan on greasing fittings, adding oil to sprakplugs, draining and refilling lower unit, removing prop and greasing. Already topped off tank and added stabilizer and ran it thru engine on the water.

I replace the VST filter during winterization. Good idea to do it now in case there is water in there.

I change the lower unit fluid before winter and do the water pump in the Spring.

Don't forget to run RV antifreeze though all livewell pumps. I forgot a few years ago and had to replace 4 pumps that are mounted to the bottom of the livewells, the housings cracked.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Your on the wrong boards Sir. Your motor is not a 3.0 liter.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Your on the wrong boards Sir. Your motor is not a 3.0 liter.
    As the new guy, I am confused by this statement. I didn't think this was the 3.0 litre forum?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    As the new guy, I am confused by this statement. I didn't think this was the 3.0 litre forum?
    Originally this post was made in the 3.0 boards, then the moderator moved the post here to the correct boards.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Originally this post was made in the 3.0 boards, then the moderator moved the post here to the correct boards.
    Thank you.

8. Member
    Does this apply to a 2015 175 Pro XS? It is a 2.5 litre I believe and all the replies are from 3.0 litres.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Don't forget to run RV antifreeze though all livewell pumps, but it sounds like a good idea. I forgot a few years ago and had to replace 4 pumps that are mounted to the bottom of the livewells, the housings cracked.
    I've never ran the RV antifreeze through my pumps. I understand how to do this for the recirc pump, but how do you run it thru the aerator pump? Do you connect a hose to the intake on the bottom of the boat?
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Does this apply to a 2015 175 Pro XS? It is a 2.5 litre I believe and all the replies are from 3.0 litres.
    That's an Optimax engine, right?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Applies to ALL Optimax engines.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's an Optimax engine, right?
    Yes and thank you. 2 stroke.

13. Member
    Any advice on getting the oil in where the plugs are after removal... Turkey baster?

14. Member
    When I need to do this (use mine year round) I use a glass eyedropper with an angled tip. Suck up the recommended amount from a spoon and squirt into the cylinder. Have read recently of others using a syringe, adding a piece of clear vinyl flexible hose would make it really simple.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Member
    Thanks silver, I actually used a turkey baster and vinyl hose. Worked great. Hardest part was getting the plugs out, they were really torqued in there.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure you use a Torque Wrench on those plugs- and torque them to 20 lbs/ft.

17. Member
    Thanks European!
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 11-20-2019 at 12:35 PM.

18. Member
    Will double check them in the spring! Thanks European!
    Actually planning to replace the plugs in the spring anyways with new plugs. So I will make sure to get it set to 20lbs on the torque wrench.