Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar

Illinois Gun Laws?

Guys - my son just took a job in Chicago where he will need to live down town close to his work. He has several guns that he would like to bring with him and store in his apartment. Does anyone know the gun laws in Chicago/Cook County/Illinios? Is it ok to possess a hand gun or a shot gun or an AR? Realize carrying is a whole new ball game.

Thanks guys! Steve
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sc419795 View Post
    Guys - my son just took a job in Chicago where he will need to live down town close to his work. He has several guns that he would like to bring with him and store in his apartment. Does anyone know the gun laws in Chicago/Cook County/Illinios? Is it ok to possess a hand gun or a shot gun or an AR? Realize carrying is a whole new ball game.

Thanks guys! Steve
    Definitely will need a FOID card.

3. Banned
    I thought everybody carried a Gun in Chicago?

4. Banned

5. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Hi Steve, as someone else stated your son will need a FOID card. There is a lawsuit against the whole FOID process right now but the fact of the matter is, he will need one for now. As for what weapons he can own, he really needs to figure out where he is moving to and find out if there is an assault weapons ban etc. another ongoing lawsuit right now that is currently being upheld. In simple words, have him call the local police department where he is moving and ask for specifics for that area. Sounds confusing right? It’s because it is.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt93 View Post
    Hi Steve, as someone else stated your son will need a FOID card. There is a lawsuit against the whole FOID process right now but the fact of the matter is, he will need one for now. As for what weapons he can own, he really needs to figure out where he is moving to and find out if there is an assault weapons ban etc. another ongoing lawsuit right now that is currently being upheld. In simple words, have him call the local police department where he is moving and ask for specifics for that area. Sounds confusing right? It’s because it is.
    ^^^ What he said ^^^
    Don't even bother calling Illinois State Police, FOID division. You'll never get through. Call both the county he'll be in, and the city p.d. that he'll be in.