Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Next summer vacation rental options

Getting ready to plan next year's trip. It'll be in early July due to the kids in school. We need to have a place to keep 2 boats in the water for a week, so Oneida is out, too windy.
    We also need at least 3 bedrooms, preferably 4, and 2 baths.
    We usually rent a house on Airbnb.

We did Black lake last year and 1000 islands this year. Options are Black lake, chautauqua, or try something new like Butterfield, Bonaparte, or Cranberry. Does anyone have any feedback?

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Why not cayuga?

3. Member
    Cranberry is a beautiful lake and has wicked pike fishing but I don’t think there is any private properties right on the water so you’d have to trailer. Makes it nicer though because it reduces the amount of people. My vote would be somewhere near saranac lake. This way you can hit Cranberry, Tupper, Saranac and Lake Flower all within a half hour drive. There’s also plenty of places to stay if you just wanted to fish one lake specifically. Also, there’s plenty for the kids to do around saranac. You have the lake placid Olympic complex, whiteface ski mountain chair rides and road, quite a few mini golf places, and shops and restaurants.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Cayuga is close enough that we go there regularly, and renting on the finger lakes is ridiculously expensive.

5. Member
    Stump city at cranberry .....be careful !

6. Member
    Try Conesus Lake. A lot of rentals

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie150 View Post
    Try Conesus Lake. A lot of rentals
    I go to Conesus more than anywhere as it's the closest to me. There and Silver.

8. Member
    How's the fishing on Otsego?

9. Member
    Otsego has some good smallie fishing. It’s a deep clear lake mostly known for lake trout but there’s a good smallmouth population. Susquehanna Bass club usually has 2 tournaments a year on there. It’s only a half hour from my house but never really fished it much because of the parking. Good thing about otsego is if the fishing isn’t good you have Cooperstown to check out the baseball history
    1995 Ranger 481v

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdwelding View Post
    How's the fishing on Otsego?
    lots of much better lakes in New York, you wont like the hassle of the launch.

11. Member
    Conesus

if you need number for rental let me know

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    why not champlain... just a suggestion

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    why not champlain... just a suggestion
    Kind of far, and it being so big might be a problem with leaving the boat in the water all week. Same kind of deal as oneida. And my oldest only has a 14 foot tin with a 25hp.
    It's on the bucket list though.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Question why do you have to leave the boat in the water? I go and stay alot at the St lawrance and pull my ranger out every evening and launch in the morning would never leave it docked overnight... agree a 14 foot with a 25 may not be the best for any of the bigger waters especially Champlain and Oneida...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Question why do you have to leave the boat in the water? I go and stay alot at the St lawrance and pull my ranger out every evening and launch in the morning would never leave it docked overnight... agree a 14 foot with a 25 may not be the best for any of the bigger waters especially Champlain and Oneida...
    It's just an extra hour or so of screwing around. Its usually me, my girlfriend and our 3 youngest( 7-12) and my oldest(22). The younger ones fish from the dock during the day and swim so we need a larger house on the water. Also fishing is only from sunrise until 9:30, maybe 10 and then 5:00 to dark. It's a family trip, so as much as I want to I just can't fish all day.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Gotcha..makes sense now

17. Member
    Here is a few of places I have stayed at Chautauqua.
    Pine Hill resort. Have docks. Not exactly lake front, 2nd row behind other houses. Nicest of these 3.
    Yerkeys. Small cottages. No A/C. Docks
    Bemus point inn. Docks. No A/C. Great location, walk to restaurants.

18. Captain Paul
    Why not Lake George. It's got everything.
    RangerBasser
    Captain Paul, USCG Captain
    Merchant Marine XO

Ranger Z22 Comanche
    Mercury 300XS Racing

19. Member
    Lake George itself has decent fishing but unless you love crowds, loud tourists from downstate and NYC, Id advise against staying anywhere near the town of Lake George. Once you get up to a Schroon Lake it gets better. I’d even look into Raquette Lake to Long Lake area. Lots of places to fish, never really that crowded, awesome atmosphere and a lot of stuff to do within an hour or so driving distance
    1995 Ranger 481v

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Lake George itself has decent fishing but unless you love crowds, loud tourists from downstate and NYC, Id advise against staying anywhere near the town of Lake George. Once you get up to a Schroon Lake it gets better. I’d even look into Raquette Lake to Long Lake area. Lots of places to fish, never really that crowded, awesome atmosphere and a lot of stuff to do within an hour or so driving distance
    agree ok fishing playground for the rich boat washing and speed limits no thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast