Thread: 721 speed/setup

721 speed/setup

Still working on trying to dial in my 721. In July I managed 76mph with 2 guys empty and going down river. This was my first trip out on the test drive. Previous owner claimed 79 with poles, 1 guy, empty. My second trip loaded with 2 guys I saw 76 in the heat of summer. Last weekend I only managed 74 with 50* weather but am still learning the boat. I keep hearing that these boats don't like trim and this is the hardest thing for me to grasp. My triton needed aired out. This boat feels like a rocket when you start to air it out. It takes off hard but does raise to the point it feels like it is barely touching water.

My first question is what everyone's process is for trying to find speed? Are you trimming it up and then back down after it's on top of the water? How much trim is too much?

What is everyones favorite prop to pad? I have a Bob's plate, 2 poles, and a merc with a tournament load and a fury 26. This weekend I saw high 58xx rpm. I'm nervous about running the plate too high as guys say the furys are so sensitive to throwing blades.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Member
    Seems most are running the fury's between 3 and 3.5 p2p. From what I've seen they're slinging blades from air pockets in the metal more than anything.
    Furys don't have much lift and like to run deeper than most props so if you get it too high it the bow won't lift way before you get it high enough to chop water and sling an ear

On my 721 it runs best with the bobs plate gauge at 3”. This is a 10” plate setback. Trim all the way up. I lose speed when trimming down. Don’t be afraid of throwing a blade. It might happen but I run wide open with my plate all the way up quite a bit just messing around and I haven’t thrown one yet. It’s not like the second it sees less water pressure the blade is going to fly off. I have like 870 hours on my motor and the thing is ran wide open every chance I get. I wouldn’t be surprised if the shop told me I have over 300 hours at 5600rpms +.
    Last edited by haus9393; 10-23-2019 at 09:56 AM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Member
    Im still learning my 721 also. But remember the hot foot is power, and the trim is speed. Just get it up on plane and trim up a little until it stops picking up speed, then bump the trim up a little more and let it go until it stops gaining speed again...Just keep repeating the process.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

5. Member
    I hit 79.7 my last trip out, 98% fuel, one person and med load of tackle. She was still pulling but chine came in hard and fast so I backed out, and it was getting dark outside
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com