Thread: RT188p

RT188p

Curious if anyone has a review of the new Ranger RT188p. I haven’t seen one anywhere and no real reviews on YouTube either. Surely someone has experience with them.

2. Member
    I have only heard of the 198p the 188p must be something new.

3. Member
    I believe they started arriving at dealers in mid September. I’m guessing for those who bought one of the first ones, they would have about a month use on it. I had the chance to look at one at a dealer. I had a very good first impression. I like the layout and front and back deck space. Overall, there was only one thing I did not care for. It was this angeled extra looking piece that extends down from the front deck. I guess it’s supposed to be a foot rest/board. It’s on both the driver and passenger sides. It looks easy enough to remove. Other than that, I think this will be a very nice aluminum rig. It is definitely on my list as a possible purchase.

4. Member
    Well if you get one, give us a review with performance. Really surprised we haven’t heard about performance (top end and TM down) yet.

5. Member
    With the only difference in the hulls being the pad configuration, it would take a 6" JP and a heavily modified prop to dial in more speed. Since the 198 is in the high 50s with a 150, I'll call 50 as the max.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

6. Member
    Deck space on the 188p is actually a little less than the regular RT 188, The Ranger web site lists the boat at 18'4". The front deck is a little shorter on the 188p, 3-4 inches, not sure about the rear deck. I will say this, I had a RT 178 and now own a 198p. The 198p is a much smoother and drier ride.
    Last edited by Jraywheat; 10-29-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

7. Member
    Just bought an RT188p two weeks ago. Love it. Haven't run it wide open yet, but @ approximately 4000 rpms i was going around 38 GPS with my Dad in the boat with me. We both weigh around 185. Full tank of gas. Cant remember if i had water in the livewell. I wasn't adjusting the JP or anything. I was more worried about getting to my fishing spot. I put an Atlas on the back with two 10' blades. The prop is a 23 Tempest. When i go out again i will probably try to dial in a top speed. Will let you know. Love the way it fishes. Sets level in the water when i am on the front deck. I really dont need the huge ice chest in front of the console, would rather it be in the step but that is minor. The two larger boxes in the back make up for the loss of space under the seat. Plenty of room in the battery compartment. Very satisfied, overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jraywheat View Post
    Deck space on the 188p is actually a little less than the regular RT 188, The Ranger web site lists the boat at 18'4". The front deck is a little shorter on the 188p, 3-4 inches, not sure about the rear deck. I will say this, I had a RT 178 and now own a 198p. The 198p is a much smoother and dryer ride.

How does the stability compare to the RT 188 when your on the trolling motor ?

9. Banned
    I'm getting one

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    How does the stability compare to the RT 188 when your on the trolling motor ?
    I can only speak for the 198p, it is very stable.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

11. Member
    i cant compare it to the 188, but i can compare it to a BT 190 ( just traded it in after fishing out of it for ten years) and a Skeeter 18 ft ( buddy of mine, dont know the model number). It is just as stable as the Skeeter. The Tracker cant touch it. Sits level and doesn't rock, very stable. The wind isn't as big a problem as it was in the Tracker either.

12. Member
    Looks very narrow on front deck.

13. Member
    From what I’ve read the Vexus 18’8” aluminum boat might gain 2 MPH over the semi pad hull of the RT188. I’d expect similar with a pad hull under the 188. Plenty of people on the Vexus page reporting 47 MPH with the 115. I haven’t rode in a Vexus, but reports are they handle rough water better. I don’t see trading for either. If I was buying initial I’d go for the pad hull.

Pad or no pad shouldn’t affect stability. Deadrise and or width might.

14. Member
    Looks like there is a decent review on YouTube. 47 top speed or so. Those are usually slow since my z185 gets about 6mph faster than official review with 2 poles.

15. Member
    Would a 4 or a 6 inch plate be best for this boat? Can a hot foot be added?

Quote Originally Posted by luznmyhair View Post
    i cant compare it to the 188, but i can compare it to a BT 190 ( just traded it in after fishing out of it for ten years) and a Skeeter 18 ft ( buddy of mine, dont know the model number). It is just as stable as the Skeeter. The Tracker cant touch it. Sits level and doesn't rock, very stable. The wind isn't as big a problem as it was in the Tracker either.
    Any updates and pics ?

17. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    If any of you all out there are considering one,. I highly recommend taking one for a test ride.
    When you do, load that Baby up with as many people as allowed, fill the live well with water and see how easily she gets on pad.

The 198p has absolutely no problem getting on pad, under worst-case loaded and weather conditions. I certainly would think that the Engineering went into the 188p design for the same performance.

Just my 2 cents worth...
    Last edited by King_Fish; 12-09-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

18. Member
    What did you get for top speed?