Thread: Ultrex question

Ultrex question

Hello again, got a ultrex coming Thursday, I'm using a fourtrex now, am I going to be able plug this thing in and roll, or am I gonna have to buy some other plug, the ultrex is us2 and the other units are hds gen 3. Don't know if that has anything to do with. Thanks

2. Member
    As I recall, the Ultrex does not come with a plug. I had to buy a new one. So you can't plug and play but you can take the plug off the motor you have and put it on the Ultrex. Only reason I had to buy a new plug was the old one broke apart in my hands when I took it apart. It was 14 years old so I wasn't surprised.

3. Member
    Thank you chopper. That's what I'll do.

Your fortrex should have the correct adapter for sonar on it if it currently is working. Will have to switch mounts bolted to the boat. Other than that it's ready to go
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Make sure you have the right circuit breaker and watch how you run the US2 cable

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twolvesche View Post
    Make sure you have the right circuit breaker and watch how you run the US2 cable

This

I pinched my cord in the mount the first trip out.
    Last edited by adamr_41; 10-23-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    2014 Phoenix 721
    2014 Mercury Pro xs

7. Member
    My Minn Kota service guy recommends looping the US2 and Network cable (if you have one) twice. Once near the head I believe, once at the other "end" of the coils. Crushing the US2 sonar cable isn't a big deal. I think those are detachable and easily replaced. Crushing the network cable on the other hand......you have to replace the entire head. Good news, it's very easy to do. Bad news, replacement heads are ~$260. I've done it twice FML

Routing of the sonar cable is important to protect against damage. It is recommended that you coil it around the coil of wire coming out of the head. This is how I did it.

I also run external Transducer cables along the mounting bracket as opposed to attaching it to the steering cable sleeve. I do this to minimize interference on the sonar.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Thank you guys, all great information, I'll be installing it tomorrow after work, again thank you

10. Member
    Got her on today and ran the wires, thanks guys
    IMG_20191027_142621533.jpg

Looks Great. I know you will enjoy the Ultrex. Best accessory I have ever added to my boat.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    [QUOTE=Bill Reynolds;10612375]Looks Great. I know you will enjoy the Ultrex. Best accessory I have ever added to my boat.[/QUOTE/]

Thanks Bill. Looking forward to it

13. Member
    Got any closer pictures of how you ran your wires? Also, did you just need to run the $29 adapter to lowrance? Looking to buy one in a couple months. Thanks, Clayton

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    Got any closer pictures of how you ran your wires? Also, did you just need to run the $29 adapter to lowrance? Looking to buy one in a couple months. Thanks, Clayton
    Yes I used the adapter from the fourtrex, the us2 cable, I pulled a bout 8 inches out the top of the coil(the big wire) and spooled it around, the tie wrap it. Worked out well
    Last edited by Cricketman; 10-30-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Mis spelled words

15. Member
    Attachment 381560
    That's the best picture I have at the moment