Line Fray and Damage

Ok guys, I need some advice. I’m having issues with 5-8 different rods eating up my line. They eat up fluorocarbon in half a day or less of fishing. Mono will last a couple of trips and then starts to show the same wear, but not as bad. I’m using 15-17 # InvizX and 20 # Sniper and I get wear (bad spots) all throughout my cast. It’s not the line. I have all higher end Lew’s reels (BB1 pro up to the magnesium’s). I have tried the QTips in all the tips and guides and I wasn’t able to find anything. I had our local rod guy inspect my reel level winds and all the rod guides under a jeweler’s magnifier and he only found one bad tip. Other than that, we cannot find any other issues. I have switched reels onto the different 5-8 rods and the line still wears. It’s getting very expensive and extremely frustrating. It happens the worst on lures that create a lot of resistance (vibrating jigs, hard wobbling cranks, spinnerbaits, etc).

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Member
    I had this happen on my flipping rods. On the hookset my line would run across the metal part of the tip and the line would get damaged 6-8". Had the tips replaced to a different design and problem went away.

3. Member
    Appreciate it. I actually thought about that. I use Dobyns Champion and Falcon Cara rods and they both use Fuji guides. I’ll have to check on it to see if this is my problem.

4. Member
    If anyone else has suggestions or confirmation (on the above), please let me know. Thanks!

Run a Q-tip around the guides on your rods and around the line guides on your reels. That will tell you where your issue is very quickly.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    5-8 different rods? I don't even see how that's possible without it being operator error of some kind.

Can you describe the "bad spots"? Heavy abrasions? Light abrasions? Nicks? Cracks? Length?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Run a Q-tip around the guides on your rods and around the line guides on your reels. That will tell you where your issue is very quickly.
    Just noticed you said you tried Q-tips...sorry I missed that the first time through.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with RFeyo. I've had it happen maybe once on an old rod where thin braid wore through the guide insert. I've never had it happen again, using much lighter line than what you're using. I'm not sure how in the world you could be doing something to cause that, but short of that you have to be the unluckiest guy in the world when it comes to fishing rods and somehow the jeweler's microscope and Q-tip aren't showing it. Occam's Razor tells me the latter is not the case.

Are you resting a finger with a ring or something on the spool or line while you reel? Rubbing the line on the gunnel or rub rail as you reel in? Fishing a place that's loaded with zebra mussels and throwing around a bunch of hard cover? Routing the line through the reel the wrong way? Trying to thread the line through the bait keeper on the rods? (Actually saw someone do that last thing...they couldn't understand why they couldn't cast...)
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    You arent overspooling the reels are you? If you get them really full and the line somehow bunches up on one side it can cause tge line to get between the edge of the spool and the reel frame. Itll fray the crap out of your line but you can usually see it when it happens if youre paying any attention. FWIW ive had it happen on my Daiwas and never had it happen on my Shimanos
    They aint got hands, set the hook

9. Member
    Thanks for the input guys; I do appreciate it. It’s not operator error and I take very good care of my stuff. I even tried replacing several tips by rod repair (manufacturer and local guy) just to try and eliminate the prob.

I can’t figure out how to add a video or I would attach one here. It’s pretty bad abrasion and nicks almost little pinched abrasion marks. It seems to be throughout the length of my cast. They are short and there is some space in between them.

After thinking about it, I have been overspooling my line recently. I try to get them as full as I possibly can. It bugs me to have them even close to being underfilled. This has got to be the problem. I also have my reel spool tension knobs set extremely loose and I do cast A LOT. Maybe the combination of the two?

Thanks again guys!

10. Member
    PM sent Jason.

You may have the issue in mind now. Also, those lines are what i'd consider soft lines. They're user friendly, cast better than others, but they are easily compr omised, they can't handle much abrasion. And as I mentioned in the PM, loose line on your spool will kill those lines.

11. Member
    I actually prefer to fill my spools about 2/3 to 3/4. It also to a degree helps tame wild spools.

Another random thought is what are you fishing around? Rocks? Perhaps Zebra muzzles? Both can really reek havoc on line.

12. Member
    The issue arises even in open water. It’s with high resistance lures (chattrbaits, wide wobbling cranks, spinnerbaits, etc). I’ve been fishing for a long time with the same line and i haven’t had this issue in the past. The only thing that I can think to do is try to fish with my spools less full to see is this has any effect.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J5colli View Post
    The issue arises even in open water. It’s with high resistance lures (chattrbaits, wide wobbling cranks, spinnerbaits, etc). I’ve been fishing for a long time with the same line and i haven’t had this issue in the past. The only thing that I can think to do is try to fish with my spools less full to see is this has any effect.
    Check the chamfered edge at the top of the spool. If your over filling, that could be another spot your getting dings

14. Member
    I checked all of my reels and they really weren’t overfilled like everyone has mentioned. However, I did take extra line off of all of them just to make sure. I also tightened the spool tension, turned up the magnetic brakes, and kept my thumb on the spool the entire time I was out this past weekend so the line wasn’t able to fly off the reel and hit anything.

I’m still having the same problem.

How old is the line that you're using?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

16. Member
    Check the line guides on the reels oddly as it seems but it’s the only thing else I can think of.

17. Member
    It’s brand new quality line and I’ve had The rod guides and reel level winds checked. I don’t know what else to do.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Check the line guides on the reels oddly as it seems but it’s the only thing else I can think of.
    For Sure! I prefer to keep my spools on the full side. After a summer of frustration, I tore the reels apart to clean them. I found grooves in the very top-back of the line guide. Not visible without taking the reel apart. Some were worse than others, but they all caused fraying.
    Check you line guides!!