Removing spare tire

I have a 2008 trailer and am curious about how your suposed to remove the spare tire. I have not needed to worry about it since buying the boat a couple years ago. Today I went to Discount Tire to have a new set of tires installed. I asked if they would replace my spare with the best one as it is the original 2008 tire. They started looking at it and asked how they heck you get it off. It appears you need one wrench to hold the bolts on the bottom, then a deep well socket to remove the lug nuts. Wouldn't you know, they don't have a ratchet in the shop. If they can't do it with an impact, then it doesn't get done, but they is another topic. Anyway, how in heck are you supposed to remove the spare? I carry a 4-way lug wrench, but it appears I need to carry more tools. Glad I haven't had a flat.

You are correct. Spare requires a deep well socket and something to hold the bolt on the bottom. I have used a set of channel-locks or vice-grips in a pinch to hold.
    Last edited by adchunts; 10-22-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I carry a cheap ratchet, breaker bar with a deep socket, then just a plain box wrench in the tool bag of my boat. IIRC all are 3/4. I got it all at Harbor Freight.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Thanks. Time to improve what I carry when pulling the boat.