Airbrushing crankbaits question

My main thing when it comes to tackle making is lead baits and I use powder paint for that. I do paint crankbait blanks once in awhile but I've only done patterns that are opaque. There is a crankbait pattern I'd like to replicate that works well on my waters but it is translucent. So my question for you pros, what do you use for a primer coat? I'd appreciate any help at all, thanks.

Translucent=No primer
    Every day work-every day pray. I won't back up, I don't back down, I've been raised up to stand my ground. Shotgun toter, republican voter.
    GOD
    One Nation

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post
    Translucent=No primer
    This. Thinner paint is generally more translucent too. On these types of baits, I like metallic paints the best.
    Last edited by VanderLaan; 10-23-2019 at 11:07 AM.

4. Member
    Buy a bottle of Createx transparent base and add whatever color you’d like to produce a translucent look.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    Buy a bottle of Createx transparent base and add whatever color you’d like to produce a translucent look.
    Do I spray the base on the crank and then spray the color over top? Or do I mix the color with the base and then spray?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalljaw67 View Post
    Do I spray the base on the crank and then spray the color over top? Or do I mix the color with the base and then spray?
    As I understand, it is basically paint without any pigment. You can mix it with paint and reduce the amount of pigment (ie - increase the transparency) without reducing the viscosity of the paint.

You can use any craft paint "Medium" as the clear... Mix with your paint and thin to your needs.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalljaw67 View Post
    Mix color with Transparent Base, thin and spray.