Bow not getting out of water at full throttle.

I have a 95 Gambler 209 with a 225 mercury efi. Prop is 27 tempest. 3.5 prop to pad. The boat gets on plane great and seems to run great but the bow never gets out of water. It’s pretty much catching water at the console. According to the rpm gauge it tops at 5000. The throttle pegs out on motor. What else could be the problem? I had a 25 trophy 4 blade first the tempest does seem to run better. Any help is appreciated.

2. Member
    A 27 is too big for the motor. Thats why your rpms are low. Need smaller prop.

A 27 tempest is not too big for that motor. You should be able to turn that prop around 56-5700 rpms without breaking a sweat. Have the motor checked out to make sure you are indeed getting full throttle.
    Burning the candle at both ends.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 302w View Post
    A 27 tempest is not too big for that motor. You should be able to turn that prop around 56-5700 rpms without breaking a sweat. Have the motor checked out to make sure you are indeed getting full throttle.
    +1 get things checked out - I have a 99 Intimidator w/200 EFI and I can turn a 27 Tempest at 5,800 in the heat of summer. It's the best top end prop for my set up... but not so much for hole shot.
    Obvious question is are you trimming the motor up ?

5. Member
    I ran a 26 Trophy on that hull and motor. That said....I agree in others recomendations of getting the motor checked out. Could be throttle, stators or other electrical

6. Member
    I had a 94 with 98 225. Ran 25 and 26 trophy with 2 plugs out. Best set up..

7. Member
    My old '99 intimidator would run 81 gps with a 26 trophy 225hp mercury efi setup. I'm in Indiana so the elevations will play a part in prop sizes also.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking a water soaked hull. Turning a 27 Tempest to 5000 RPM's should be more than enough to lift any hull, especially a Gambler, unless there is too much weight in the hull.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric19 View Post
    I have a 95 Gambler 209 with a 225 mercury efi. Prop is 27 tempest. 3.5 prop to pad. The boat gets on plane great and seems to run great but the bow never gets out of water. It’s pretty much catching water at the console. According to the rpm gauge it tops at 5000. The throttle pegs out on motor. What else could be the problem? I had a 25 trophy 4 blade first the tempest does seem to run better. Any help is appreciated.
    Is this your first Gambler? Are you running full, 100%, trim. Has this rig ever run better since you’ve owned it? Can you confirm the prop has never been worked on?

10. Member
    First Gambler. It’s ran the same every time. I’m trying a smaller prop today. As far as I know the Hull is dry. I am getting full throttle at the motor. Sorry for slow response been out had back surgery.

11. Member
    Gamblinman I don’t think the Hull is wet. I had that looked at. I’m trying a smaller prop just to see if it’s any different. Do you know if there is a fuse panel anywhere? I hooked up new batteries and now I have no lights or pumps that work?

12. Member

Thanks.

Just now getting to mess with my Gambler. Trying a smaller prop today. I don’t think the Hull is wet.i will post after I run smaller prop.

im sorry did you say you were trying a smaller prop and the hull is not wet ?
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8