Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    MLF buys the FLW Tour. Okay, the Tour is now a feeder for them. But help me with this: Duckett originally stated in forming his league that pro fishermen have been getting the shaft for years. He complained that B.A.S.S. was charging entry fees and the pro anglers were struggling to make it. B.A.S.S. was supposedly raking in the coins. Now it is going to be 40 grand a year to fish the FLW Tour. What gives? Is it the older pros in MLF are the only ones to have no entry fees ... in order to get them over from B.A.S.S.? The guys over at FLW do not struggle with finances like those who were at BASS? Sounds like Boyd, Gary, KVD, and the two billionaires financing this want to be the ones raking in the coins in the future. Interesting.

Who was actually running flw? Bet they no show next week

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Are you saying the FLW Cup that was won by Brain Thrift on August 9th 2019 was funded by the 2018 tournaments? I don't keep up with FLW or BASS but I was thinking the Cup qualifiers were from the current season, not the prior season.
    Think he was referring to the people that fished Costas this year that would qualify for the 2020 Cup, but now that won't happen. So they contributed money via entry fees that would help fund a 2020 Cup.

3. Banned
    I will say the whole "this is not a hostile takeover", "FLW would have not survived" & "MLF+FLW 1+1=3" is not a good look... Someone in the MLF marketing dept. needs to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    But you preferred the old operation bass or bass federation. I’m glad I reed that right
    I wouldn't say I have a preference. Being an avid musky fisherman, I can certainly relate to fishing for the biggest fish, though.

That's the core of musky fishing; attempting to catch the biggest fish in the lake. There was a time in my life I had no interest in catching a fish that wasn't over 3 feet long, hit a topwater lure and have teeth, if it was 4 or 5 feet, all the better.

However, before that, I had other fishing related obsessions; other species, other places, and patterns. As I've gotten older, I have come back to enjoy other species, patterns, places, and fish in other ecological niches.

I'd say I've added knowledge, and enjoyment through this process, not traded one for the other.

I think that for the participating tournament fisherman that is what will happen with the addition of another different format. It's going to force you to add skills and perspectives on fisheries that you didn't have before.

From a spectator standpoint, maybe it will be the same, though I don't know for sure because I'm not into being a spectator of these types of things. Still, I see it as a lot of drama that in the end, will mean nothing.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I wouldn't say I have a preference. Being an avid musky fisherman, I can certainly relate to fishing for the biggest fish, though.

That's the core of musky fishing; attempting to catch the biggest fish in the lake. There was a time in my life I had no interest in catching a fish that wasn't over 3 feet long, hit a topwater lure and have teeth, if it was 4 or 5 feet, all the better.

However, before that, I had other fishing related obsessions; other species, other places, and patterns. As I've gotten older, I have come back to enjoy other species, patterns, places, and fish in other ecological niches.

I'd say I've added knowledge, and enjoyment through this process, not traded one for the other.

I think that for the participating tournament fisherman that is what will happen with the addition of another different format. It's going to force you to add skills and perspectives on fisheries that you didn't have before.

From a spectator standpoint, maybe it will be the same, though I don't know for sure because I'm not into being a spectator of these types of things. Still, I see it as a lot of drama that in the end, will mean nothing.
    tldr

6. Member
    FLW would have survived. There were other buyers. MLF wanted to keep BASS from buying it, so it cost them money. It would have been easier, and cheaper to have started their own feeder system, and done their own thing. Now they are going to have to divert people and resources to these overlapping feeder tours that could have been used for MLF/BPT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    tldr

I tried not to use that many big words, since it was a response to you.

8. Banned
    Wonder if BASS had the money to buy it, things couldn't have been all roses over at BASS after this last year of drama

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    FLW would have survived. There were other buyers. MLF wanted to keep BASS from buying it, so it cost them money. It would have been easier, and cheaper to have started their own feeder system, and done their own thing. Now they are going to have to divert people and resources to these overlapping feeder tours that could have been used for MLF/BPT.
    Would have survived what? Make believe rumors? Only one organization that couldn’t survive and it damn sure wasn’t flw.

flw was the only way one company could survive. Total flop entry season and Everyone knows it. Just wondering how they expect to turn the biggest tournament organization in the world from near bankrupt to propping up a failed idea. Gonna be interesting, I’m sure more details will be coming out soon.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Wonder if BASS had the money to buy it, things couldn't have been all roses over at BASS after this last year of drama
    I'm sure if the price was right they would have bought it. You have to remember some people affiliated with BASS helped start FLW. They knew where all the skeletons were buried. It worked out well for BASS though. Now MLF can't poach their talent anymore, and their newly minted competitor has spread their resources thin with a multi front war.
    Last edited by TritonJT; 10-22-2019 at 11:08 PM.

11. Banned
    I'm sure if the price was right they would have bought it. You have to remember some people affiliated with BASS help start FLW. They knew where all the skeletons were buried. It worked out well for BASS though. Now MLF can't poach their talent anymore, and their newly minted competitor has spread their resources thin with a multi front war.
    spin it however you want, BASS's biggest talent development league was FLW, thats no longer the case

12. Banned
    spin it however you want, BASS's biggest talent development league was FLW, thats no longer the case
    I hear it’s gonna be some hybrid tournament/sissy rig series now. David Dudley is licking his chops.

Heck, Scott Martin even made a fool out of himself with a spinning rod last year. That’s like eating spaghettis with a spoon.

13. Member
    I love FLW, because of how they have treated me. I am a fan of BASS Elites, but fishing isn’t my job, it is a passionate hobby so making the Elites has never been a goal. To me “grassroots” over the last 10 years has always been FLW. I see the complaints on here about not listening because there is no championship. The All-American is a championship, and a hard one to get into and is probably #4 in rank. They have Costa Championship with an extremely high payout and ranks to move up to FLW Circuit. And the FLW Circuit has their AOY Championship. Is the Cup gone? Yes. But at least they changed from what we were hearing a week ago and no 0 weights and no MLF style until that championships. I’m not a fan of MLF format especially 0 weights, but I will fish them next year. I hope they keep their staff FLW had and customer communication. Where else could I fish? They added 3 divisions to the Costa. The Costa to me is the closest you can get to compete at the highest level for a weekend guy. The Opens have 2 divisions and 4 tournaments. That is just too hard for me to swing with work and family. I love the BFL’s. Where else can I fish that has a tournament like the All American? I do think BASS needs to broaden Opens divisions with 3 tournaments. Most grassroots guys will be fishing MLFLW. Because that is where we have to go. This to me where there is a lack of competition in the industry. If 8nCostas average 150 boats that is 2400 anglers. If the 2 Opens average 200 boats that is 800 anglers. I am relieved that it is biggest 5. To me, that is the art I watch guys do that make me love this sport. I wish no ill will on anyone. Are there people in the industry I don’t think much of? Yes. But I have an outlet next year that is continuing the format I love, with a Championship and could quite possibly fish 2 Costa divisions if the schedule and distance allow.
    Someone earlier said that FLW was BASS feeder system and in a lot of ways they were right. Most all guys came through FLW first because of grassroots. I don’t know if the TBF relationship will stand, but hopefully there will be a way for it to.

14. Tico
    I will say the whole "this is not a hostile takeover", "FLW would have not survived" & "MLF+FLW 1+1=3" is not a good look... Someone in the MLF marketing dept. needs to be fired.
    Typical of their "leadership" if you can actually call it that

15. dartag1829
    Where's Randy Flowers or Randy Blaukat with comments on this. We need the Real Scoop.

16. Member
    Guys let’s day flw cost 12 mil like the rumor going around. 12 mil to the family that owns bass and Kroenke is like lunch money to the rest of us. Both families are worth billions

17. Member
    I agree. I think that's where it rubs some people wrong. They seem to always talk crap on everybody else. Kind of like going into a boat dealership and the sales guy talking crap on every other brand instead of just pointing out the good qualities of the brand they are selling. That will do nothing but run people away.

18. Member
    If it takes 24 pages to explain it, I'm not smart enough to participate. Noticeably absent was any mention of The Bass Federation.
    Mentioned just no details. NOTE: 42 ADDITIONAL EVENTS PUT ON THROUGH PARTNERSHIP WITH TBF

19. Member
    Those are Ducketts words, not a marketing Dept. He said almost the exact same things on his BassZone interview a week ago.

This "presentation" was put together in haste as their are rumors of a mass exodus from FLW since the purchase. This was done in haste to prevent that from happening

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    Those are Ducketts words, not a marketing Dept. He said almost the exact same things on his BassZone interview a week ago.

This "presentation" was put together in haste as their are rumors of a mass exodus from FLW since the purchase. This was done in haste to prevent that from happening
    Not sure there was much danger of a significant exodus. Where would they go? BASS Opens would be the alternative, and their will be mucho waiting list on those.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast