HDS 12 Gen3 Upgrade

As you can tell from my questions I am about to ask, I don't have a lot of knowledge about the newer technology so any answers would be appreciated.

I have an HDS 9 Gen3 on my console. I had to buy the transducer to install on the back so I could do down imaging and side imaging. Would this transducer work for the HDS 12 GEN3?

Mine works without having the black NMEA box. Do I need that for the HDS 12 to work the best it can? I plan on putting my HDS 9 up front with a trolling motor transducer. Don't need it networked.

Also, what is the difference between a Carbon an HDS?

Any suggestions for upgrading would be helpful.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Will an LSS-2transducer work with HDS Gen3? Yes.
    NMEA has nothing to do with the transducer, could you perhaps mean the StructureScan HD module? If so, no you do not need it.
    I would highly recommend using ethernet betwee your two units. Again, nothing to do with NMEA. Ethetnet is one cable, unit to unit. This would allow sharing of maps and sonar, as well as waypoint synch.
    Difference between HDS Carbon and HDS Gen 3? http://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/2016...gen-3.html?m=1
    Tips for upgrading? HDS Gen 3 are great units, especially with the latest software. Your biggest upgrade would be an ethernetcable.

3. Member
    Thank you for the information. I am going to buy the HDS and the ethernet cable and link them together.

I appreciate the advice.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO