1242 xsv vs 126 sv

Hi guys . I ask couple times but still can’t decide . So I am ready for new 12” livescope unit and I am stock between new echomap ultra and 1242xsv . Anyone have experience with both ?

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Do you like knobs or touch and do you want built in uhd I had a 106 and with it sitting next to my 1242 I couldn’t tell the difference on the lake both 1242 and 12 ultra and 10 ultra have same resolution.I would say you will have to move to a 8600 to get true uhd as the resolution is the highest .1242 does everything I need with both the uhd 34 and gt30 but some want better pics and that would be a 8600 is the best garmin offers today.
    I will say this the ultras do get hot I would keep a good air flow around them ,I guess the built in uhd gets warm.

3. Member
    Touch screen is a must for sure . I am not familiar with Garmin so I don’t really know what uhd really offer . I know 8600 series is the best but cost is high that’s way I am thinking about cheaper options. Thank you for help.

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The only thing that worries me on the ultra is the mount just don’t know how water proof is .

5. Member
    I've had the 106 Ultra for a few months now and the new mount is way better than the older echomap mounts. I've run my Livescope on the 1042, 106 Ultra, and 8610. I've settled on the 8610 for Livescope and the 106Ultra for my GT54UHD. Both are really good.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

6. Member
    So looking at Garmin’s website how come it doesn’t show the 1242 integrated with navionics maps but the 126sv and 8600 series it’s listed at integrated with navionics? Am I missing something?

7. Member
    Preloaded with Exceptional Garmin Cartography

LakeVü g3 inland maps and BlueChart® g3 coastal charts provide industry-leading coverage, clarity and detail with integrated Garmin and Navionics® data and Auto Guidance1 technology. LakeVü g3 and BlueChart g3 include Auto Guidance1, which uses your desired depth and overhead clearance to calculate routes and provide a suggested path to follow. LakeVü g3 provides coverage on more than 17,000 lakes with up to 1’ contours. BlueChart g3 also includes NOAA raster cartography, available as a free downloadable feature via the ActiveCaptain® app

I would guess you were looking at the 1222 which has worldwide base map. The 1242 indeed does have Navionics integrated mapping.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

8. Banned
    1242 for sure.

9. Member
    I love my Echomap Ultra 122. As stated above the cradle system is ALLOT better than what come with the 93sv plus.
    The Ultra come with the same screen that comes on the 8600 top of the line units. I had trouble viewing the screen in sunlight with my 93sv plus unit. I've had zero issues viewing the screen in direct sunlight. with my Ultra 122. I'm lucky that I don't have to remove my units. It got so if I had to on my 93sv unit I would unplug the 2 cords and just remove the gimbal with the unit. Don't think that I would need to do that with the new design.

10. Member
    I was looking at the 1242 touch and the Ultra 126.
    Went with the Ultra because of the UHD. I fish shallow lakes and wanted to give it a shot.
    I love the bail mount.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    The Ultra come with the same screen that comes on the 8600 top of the line units.
    I think you'll find that generally the 8600's have better resolution than the Ultras 1920x1200 vs 1280x800.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

12. Member
    I have a non touch 1242 and the resolution is acceptable and have had no issues with glare or brightness. I would stick with the Ultra. Seems the Ultra line is Average Joe freshwater friendly. It’s a new lineup where as the 1242 is a few years old. The ultra should have a longer shelf life in this rapidly accelerating/changing arena of on board electronics.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    1242!and ultra have same resolution
    I was told the 1242 is the workhorse of the fleet and will not go anywhere anytime soon as a lot of guys don’t like touch for obvious reasons.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I think you'll find that generally the 8600's have better resolution than the Ultras 1920x1200 vs 1280x800.
    Your right with the resolution, the 8600's have the highest. I was talking about the type of screen, I know the Ultra has polarized support and I thought I read when it was released it had a diffrent type of screen as compared to the GPS units, I could be wrong, :)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    1242!and ultra have same resolution
    I was told the 1242 is the workhorse of the fleet and will not go anywhere anytime soon as a lot of guys don’t like touch for obvious reasons.
    The 1242 may not go away soon but it’s processor and guts are already a few years old. It’s probaby 1/2 way through its cycle. What we’re seeing coming out from Garmin is in its infancy. The next gen is going to be interesting. I hate to think about the barge I’m going to have to tow behind the boat to hold all those black boxes cause I’m not giving up my knobs til I have to.......
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

16. Member
    I really don't know. Reading the specs for the resolution is clear to me. Some of the promotions said the Ultra was improved over the Chirp models and as you mentioned have polarized support. The promotions on the 8600 series tout IPS display and that's supposed to be a big deal. Kind of getting beyond my expertise. I do have an 8616 and I really like it. The resolution is better than my 1242. There are times though that the 1242 looks brighter. May need to check my settings.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

17. Member
    Thank you for help guys .

18. Member
    I really don't know. Reading the specs for the resolution is clear to me. Some of the promotions said the Ultra was improved over the Chirp models and as you mentioned have polarized support. The promotions on the 8600 series tout IPS display and that's supposed to be a big deal. Kind of getting beyond my expertise. I do have an 8616 and I really like it. The resolution is better than my 1242. There are times though that the 1242 looks brighter. May need to check my settings.
    Do you use 8616 for livescope?

19. Member
    I do and it is impressive, really impressive. I like to look a long ways. The longer the range the smaller the fish get and my eyes are not getting any better. On the 93sv units, typically I recommend a range of 70. On the 8616 a range of 120 works just fine. Mr. bassoholic, I make no claims to being a bass fisherman, but I sure do catch a lot of them. Like today, I went walleye fishing. Sitting in deep water, saw a few but they were uncooperative. All the while I keep one rod ready with a 1 oz spoon. While I'm jigging and trying get a walleye to bite I look around with the LVS. Over and over today I would see groups of spots. Some out over deep water and others next to the back 20-40 ft deep, I'm getting to where I just can't turn it down. If I can land than spoon in them, the bite percentage is very, very high. All in all, I had a great day fishing even though I didn't catch one walleye.

20. Member
    I do and it is impressive, really impressive. I like to look a long ways. The longer the range the smaller the fish get and my eyes are not getting any better. On the 93sv units, typically I recommend a range of 70. On the 8616 a range of 120 works just fine. Mr. bassoholic, I make no claims to being a bass fisherman, but I sure do catch a lot of them. Like today, I went walleye fishing. Sitting in deep water, saw a few but they were uncooperative. All the while I keep one rod ready with a 1 oz spoon. While I'm jigging and trying get a walleye to bite I look around with the LVS. Over and over today I would see groups of spots. Some out over deep water and others next to the back 20-40 ft deep, I'm getting to where I just can't turn it down. If I can land than spoon in them, the bite percentage is very, very high. All in all, I had a great day fishing even though I didn't catch one walleye.
    I didn’t want to think about 8616 because cost but looks like I have to think about it a little bit more . Thank you for ideas .