WOT throttle adjustment

Need a little help. Have a 2017 200 proxs. Put on older boat by a mechanic. I have only been running 5500 rpms at WOT. I replaced a 2000 200hp opti so I dont think the motor is all that different to cause my rpm difference. I bet my WOT needs to be adjusted. I have one problem, I am a visual learner. I am reading all i can. I am fairly competent on the mechanical side if I can see the process. Any body have a visual process to help me adjust my WOT?

2. Member
    If you have a hot foot then click on this >>>Hotfoot Setup & Adjustment

3. Member
    No I don't have a hot foot.

what about motor height? same prop?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On a hand-control, it is rare to have any cable-side problems, unless the control handle/angle is being limited by an object.

The engine side is still something you can check- even though you don't have a hotfoot, the WOT position check is still the same as shown in the following link.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    If you have a hot foot then click on this >>>Hotfoot Setup & Adjustment

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member

I am starting to see the process. one last dumb question, in the green circle is this where I adjust the WOT if I am not at .01-.20?

7. Member
    First you need to confirm that the throttle lever can obtain WOT clearance WITHOUT the throttle cable connected.

^^^^^ and then adjust at that point for proper throttle close and WOT should fall into place if no one has messed with the stops if there are no issues with the throttle controller
    Be sure the barrel sleeve is not missing as that would allow for less total travel, this a small cup that goes over the barrel adjuster that slides in the cable retainer
    Last edited by lpugh; 10-24-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SP200 View Post

I am starting to see the process. one last dumb question, in the green circle is this where I adjust the WOT if I am not at .01-.20?
    That barrel adjuster is used to set the cable to match the engine's IDLE POSITION (against the idle stop on the engine).

Disconnect the end of the throttle cable, MANUALLY advance the arm to it's mechanical stop point, and check the throttle position at the throttle plate.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor