Thread: Trailer issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer issue

Last week I was wiping my boat down when I noticed the rear of the trailer sitting abnormally lower than the front. I am not sure how long this has been like this but it does not seem right. I looked at another similar trailer and I noticed there is a connection between the 2 axles on mine that is crooked and sits level on the other trailer. I am assuming that is why my rear is sitting lower. Anyone know how to fix this or why this is like that?

2. Member
    Looks like your trailer is too high in the front. Level your trailer without it being hooked up and see if that takes care of it. I had to use a longer drop hitch with my Phoenix compared to my previous boat.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Looks like a collapsed leaf spring to me. Balancer should spread the load unless it is sticking/worn or a leaf spring is shot. Parts are cheap but can be a pain to change without a torch to get the old bolts out.
    2011 721
    2021 250 Mercury 4S, Fury 24

4. Member
    If it is a bad leaf spring can you tell by looking at it?

5. Member
    is the port side the same or level?

6. Member
    both sides are the same.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    What does it look like when your trailer is level? It appears to be jacked up pretty high in the pics?? I’d put a level on the trailer and see if the weight is still so unequally distributed toward the rear springs.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    When the trailer is level it looks almost the same as the picture above.

9. Member
    How much of a slope in the driveway? And is the driveway curving downhill from between the tires/axles? Take a picture of the whole trailer, and the tow vehicle if it's still attached to the tow vehicle. Does it look like that when on a flat level roadway/parking lot?
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

10. Member
    I just rechecked it while the trailer is perfectly level. On the port side I can fit a finger between the tire and the fender. On the starboard side I cannot fit a finger.

11. Member
    It is in the garage now sitting level. Hard to get a good pic. (tight fit) Next time I pull it out I will take pics of both sides while its attached to the truck. Starboard side definitely sits lower than port.

12. Member
    If the trailer is level when attached to the truck on level parking lot, my first guess is springs gone bad.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

13. Member
    Sometimes our water wagon trailers at work get out of balance and we have to put a 4x4 under one axle and push it up to level them out. This looks close to how they look after going over a large bump. Have you send the picture to marine master?

14. Member
    I left a message for them today. Waiting on a call back. Thank you everyone for all the input.

15. Member
    The balancer is off, it should not be angled like that. Take a floor jack and put it under the low side and jack it up. The balancer will pop back into place, leveling the trailer once again.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

16. Member
    What I see is the leaf springs are shot. What year is your boat/trailer.
    I had to replace the suspension on the trailer of my old phoenix. It was
    a 2010 721. It's not to difficult of a project about 6hrs(+/-). and right at $450
    that included upgrading to brass sleeves and wet bolts.
    One question I have that has nothing to do with your problem. Why did you get
    rid of the Vault hubs and go to grease-able bearing and have you had any problems.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

17. Member
    The trailer is a 2011 so it might be due for new leafs. Sent pictures to Marine Masters this morning.
    I had nothing but problems with the vault hubs. They failed on me multiple times. The first few times I had them replaced with vault hubs and again they blew. Even though they were warrantied my boat sat for some time waiting on replacements. (Knock on wood) I have not had any issues since going back to standard hubs. I will try the floor jack this afternoon and see if it balances out.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin122 View Post
    The trailer is a 2011 so it might be due for new leafs. Sent pictures to Marine Masters this morning.
    I had nothing but problems with the vault hubs. They failed on me multiple times. The first few times I had them replaced with vault hubs and again they blew. Even though they were warrantied my boat sat for some time waiting on replacements. (Knock on wood) I have not had any issues since going back to standard hubs. I will try the floor jack this afternoon and see if it balances out.
    It will fix it. Done it a few times.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

19. Member
    I have a 2013 and noticed last night I have yet another failed vault hub. This time its the inner seal on the hub with the brakes. This is the 5 or 6th vault failure and am done. What needs to be done to switch to standard/bearing buddy?

20. Member
    If it is a bad leaf spring can you tell by looking at it?
    noticeable less arch = bad spring. Should look like the front one. Normal spring under normal load will have very little or no gap between leafs. Had a collapsed one On my trailer after I put 8 people in it for a parade. Never again.
    2011 721
    2021 250 Mercury 4S, Fury 24

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast