BPS Crankin' Stick

Who controls John Gill?

2. Member
    Dave

4. Banned
    Cool , But some rod snobs on here will say you can't catch bass with rod that don't cost $300.

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Anyone know how the current model blanks compare to the older versions?

I've got an early copy (below) in 7'/Med/Fast (full cork handle vs. the split EVA on the new ones) that's been a favorite for tossing squarebills...

Who controls John Gill?

If they're like the CarbonLites, the new ones aren't nearly as good as the older ones. I have been super disappointed in the CarbonLite 2.0 that I have, especially compared to how nice the originals were at their price point. Haven't fished the new crankin' sticks to say one way or the other on them yet, though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Was away for work 2 weeks back and found my way to a BPS in Maryland where I got to handle them. To say I was underwhelmed would be an understatement. Aesthetically just plain butt ugly and the EVA foam is a turn off for me. To go from what they were to the present version is criminal.

I have the last model prior to the current one, split grip cork and aside from sanding down the Power Hump that I didn't care for it's been a fantastic rod. It's accounted for many of the fish I send you pictures of

The second rod in my lineup, which may interest you, is a Fenwick Lunker Stik. Same price point as the BPS but a much nicer rod all around ... it's always under the radar when cranking rods are discussed but after 2 hard seasons fishing it I have no complaints. And it has a 5 year warranty.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwic...d/1371868.html

Ranting incoherently

8. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Thanks, Bill... That pretty much reinforces what I suspected (didn't really like the split EVA anyway ). I'll give the Fenwick a look.
    Who controls John Gill?

Fished them for many years.. Got to where the powerhump grip and then also the weight bothered the arthritis in my hand. Caught a lot of fish on them and never broke one that's for sure! No longer having kids in college I have splurged and gone to Loomis NRX rods - which I really like but... I don't catch anymore fish on them than I did on the Crankin Sticks LOL!

Soon it will be time to have rods ready for my two grandsons - maybe they will start out on those same Crankin Sticks!
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

10. Member
    I have 3 versions/generations of that rod: black blank with straight cork handle, then crackle brown blank with cork Powerhump handle, and now one of the new versions with grey blank and eva foam handle. I like the crackle brown blank with the cork Power hump handle the best. I think the new blank is OK but they are getting kind of sloppy with their rod guide wrappings and the eva split grip handle is not as comfortable. I do a lot of crankbaiting and I have caught a lot of fish on the BPS Crankin' Sticks. The composite blanks and Medium blanks I prefer are a good choice for me. I can feel the bait well and don't lose very many fish.

11. Member
    I still prefer the 7' 6" power hump rods for winter crankin in the 12'-18' range. That's a darn good rod at that price.

12. Member
    I have the fenwick lunkerstick too ---awesome cranking rod !!
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max