Green river lake trip USA Bassin Co-ed classic

My wife and I just got back from the USA Bassin Co-ed Classic at Green River lake. It was our first time there and the lake is beautiful. We practiced for 2 days then had 2 days in the tournament. The 2 days of practice was tough. We had 1 keeper the first day and 2 keepers the second day. I am not much of a deep water guy and the Lakemaster map chip I have is not much help. So day 1 of tourney scrapped everything from practice and just went to fish our strength, shallow power fishing. We picked up a couple spinnerbaits and a wakebait, then covered as much shallow water as we could. Wife and I had 10-12 keepers doing so! Awesome! Got to love it when you make a good decision. Next day we ran through the same stuff again and had another small limit but that was it. I guess we hit them pretty good the day before. Working our way back to the ramp we stopped a few more places and got one upgrade. All in all it was a good tournament for us. We knew we wouldn't have a chance for a win but we made the most of what we found. It was a fun trip at a new lake. It was a great time meeting and hanging around other couples that enjoy fishing as much as we do.

Lake update:
    Water was 68*
    Sounds like most of the big fish was still out in deeper water.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

5th place out of 32 teams on a lake you had never seen before is doing pretty good in my opinion. The team that won is local and is often in the $ on Green as well as other lakes in our area so it's no surprise they won. Heck they also won in 2017 and that's when it was on a different lake if my memory is correct. Looking at the numbers of day one versus day two you were in the hunt but just dropped off a tad on day two. If you want to come back for a fun trip do it March/April/May. You described your strength as (shallow water power fishing) if that's true and you catch the pre spawners in the right mood 5 for 20 is not uncommon. I am not saying they jump in the boat at that time but if you do get on them they are there.

Unfortunately for you they picked a weekend where there was a huge High School Open tournament going on Saturday. I was told there was 71 boats in the High School Open and there was 32 in yours. Plus I was told there was a pretty good size crappie tournament that went out of Holmes Bend. I once fish Green many years ago when Renegade was one big circuit and it had right at 110 boats. For the size Green is once you get over 50 or so tournament boats it's hard to spread out because there is not that many creeks that are large enough to spread the boats out. It's more like one long winding river that has a dam so having 100+ boats on a lake that size can be a nightmare...with that said I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

Thank you. I thought it was a successful tournament for us and it was a good time.
    Yeah the couple that won it are local and very good fisherman. Day 1 had a lot more bass fisherman on the lake with the High school tourney and caused the limits to be smaller. We had a good day 1. The fish we caught choked on the SB and wakebait the first day. Day 2 they wasn't as aggressive, but then again we already caught 10+ keepers in the same area the day before.

I looked at past results of other tournaments and saw the big bags in the spring! The lake has some really good fish in it for sure. Some of the local teams told us the same thing, that it can be a really fun lake in the spring if you can find them.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive