lowrance powerhead issue

I have a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI that has started shutting off after a period of time, sometimes 5 seconds, sometimes 3 hours. It does not blow the fuse, but smells hot after it shuts down sometimes. Has anyone ever had any luck getting one of these repaired? My son said he worked with a guy who said Lowrance exchanged him a powerhead for $100 and his old unit, but from what I have read, most guys say if its out of warranty, and it is by a good while, you are pretty much screwed. anybody ever have any experience with these, or know any place that repairs them? I have a Garmin I can put back on, its on my front trolling motor, bow mount, so I don't really use all the features it has, I have the same unit on the console, [the Lowrance] and I use the GPS and lake depth maps on it.

2. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    It's either a voltage issue or the unit is failing. Try wiring it directly to the battery with 10 or 12 gauge wire and see if this resolves the issue. The unit is definitely out of warranty and will not be replaced. They may pro rate another unit for you but that's best case.
    BassFishin Electronics
    Stephen Estes- Owner
    603-264-9739 (Call or text)
    www.bassfishinelectronics.com

3. Member
    There are companies that repair old units as long ad they can still find spares. Keep in mind though that the cost of such repairs on your unit will far exceed its worth.