Thread: humminbird 360

humminbird 360

im looking at getting new 360 mega and i was wondering how big of a difference their will be between the helix and solix units

SOLIX is touch screen and Helix is not.

Must be a G2 SOLIX or G3N Helix to support the MEGA 360.

There are more display sizes with the Helix and the SOLIX has the largest one.

Image quality pretty much the same.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

thanks Wayne i was wanting to know about image quality. i run Lowrance now but i am going to try the bird to run 360 and helix with ultrex will i need any thing else

Quote Originally Posted by Tablerock 196 champ View Post
    thanks Wayne i was wanting to know about image quality. i run Lowrance now but i am going to try the bird to run 360 and helix with ultrex will i need any thing else
    A Helix unit would have to be a G3N DI model or G3N SI model to run the MEGA 360.

A Minnkota Ultrex is available with a US2, MDI, or MSI internal sonar transducer. The MDI model would be the best choice to go with the MEGA 360 since you cannot use the SI piezos in a SI transducer with a MEGA 360 connected. The MEGA 360 can be used as a Side Imaging transducer with either a DI or SI Helix model. Dual purpose with the MEGA 360 since the 360 is a rotating SI transducer.
    Only the MDI and MSI transducers have the matching 2D piezo for the current model's 2D sonar which is High Wide CHIRP, Low-Q 140-240 kHz.
    The US2 transducer does only 83/200 kHz 2D sonar.

The units come with a transducer that does what the model name states:
    MEGA DI units do 2D sonar and Down Imaging
    MEGA SI units do 2D sonar, Down Imaging, and Side Imaging.

You can purchase a CHO model Down Imaging unit (Control Head Only) if you get the Minnkota with MDI transducer. Less cost than a MEGA SI unit with transducer or MEGA DI unit with transducer.

If you want full integration with the trolling motor, you need the iPilot LINK version which is an Ethernet connection. It gives you the capability of using the iPilot with Heading sensor as a GPS/Heading source for the Helix.
    It gives you Follow-the-Contour with Lakemaster HD mapping, Auto Chart mapping, and Auto Chart Live mapping.
    It also gives you more memory for iTracks and Spotlocks (waypoints) than the iPilot itself has.

You don't have to use a sonar, DI, or SI transducer with the 360 if you want. It will work fine with the MEGA 360 by itself.
    Another transducer would give you a depth readout on the 360 view.
    If you do connect another transducer with the MEGA 360, you would need the MEGA 360 Y cable to connect both the MEGA 360 and other transducer to the display's transducer port.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne, thanks for posting the above information, very useful. I am in a similar situation only switching to Solix units and I was hoping you could look at this setup for viewing MEGA 360, SI, DI, and 2D and let me know if there is any redundancy or needed items. Thank you.

Bow:
    -Solix 12 MDI+ CHO
    -Ultrex MDI
    -MEGA 360 Y Cable
    -Ethernet Hub

Helm:
    -Solix 12 MSI+

Bilge:
    -2D Transducer

Transom:
    -SI Transducer (For viewing SI at helm when trolling motor is stowed)

Quote Originally Posted by Crabnbass View Post
    Wayne, thanks for posting the above information, very useful. I am in a similar situation only switching to Solix units and I was hoping you could look at this setup for viewing MEGA 360, SI, DI, and 2D and let me know if there is any redundancy or needed items. Thank you.

Bow:
    -Solix 12 MDI+ CHO
    -Ultrex MDI
    -MEGA 360 Y Cable
    -Ethernet Hub

Helm:
    -Solix 12 MSI+

Bilge:
    -2D Transducer

Transom:
    -SI Transducer (For viewing SI at helm when trolling motor is stowed)
    The MSI+ will come with the transom SI transducer and you will need the 14 M SIDBY cable to connect the HW shoot-thru and transom SI transducer to the display.

If you want what is described above with the iPilot LINK and share that between the displays, that would take the AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch to connect LINK and the two displays.

If you want the units to share data, you would need the AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch and two Ethernett cables. LINK comes with a 30' Ethernet extension cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    I'm SO CONFUSED so if I have a gen 3 helix DI only 360 mega will not work ?

Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    I'm SO CONFUSED so if I have a gen 3 helix DI only 360 mega will not work ?
    The G3N Helix DI+ and G3N SI+ units support the MEGA 360.
    Read post #1339 here--
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....173633&page=67
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The MSI+ will come with the transom SI transducer and you will need the 14 M SIDBY cable to connect the HW shoot-thru and transom SI transducer to the display.

If you want what is described above with the iPilot LINK and share that between the displays, that would take the AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch to connect LINK and the two displays.

If you want the units to share data, you would need the AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch and two Ethernett cables. LINK comes with a 30' Ethernet extension cable.
    Sounds good, thanks again.

thanks for all the information