Elite TI problems

I have a year old TI 12 that I am having problems with. A cursor will just randomly show up on the screen. It started doing this a couple months ago and has gotten worse. Sometimes you can clear it and sometimes you have to wait and push clear several times. Also the touchscreen seems a bit off at times. I have calibrated the touchscreen and done a soft reset. Didn’t help. I have the 18.3 update. Any ideas?

2. Member
    I would suggest backing up your waypoints and trying a hard reset and see if it clears it up.

3. Member
    1. As above, do a hard reset. Save waypoints first, don’t save settings in this case.
    2. Check power. What is your screen overlay of voltage reading?

4. Member
    Will try hard reset. I’m not sure on the voltage, I will check that too.

5. Member
    Tried the hard reset, didn’t fix the problem. Checked voltage today, it stayed between 11.5 and 11.8 while fishing. It went up to 12.5 when running the engine and still had same problem.

6. Member
    You (most likely) have an electrical problem. A fully charged lead-based battery is 12,75V, which will drop a litle due to the load from the unit but not to 11,8. Touchscreen-units are sensetive to low voltage and will often show signs of ill-behaving already around 11,8V. Anything less than 12,4-12,3 points to:
    - bad battery
    - bad connections
    - undersized wiring

Feel free to give Lowrance a call, but I would test it with good power before doing so.

7. Member
    Called Lowrance tech support, very helpful. Looks like the problem is with a navionics card I installed. I would have never thought of that. Switched back to C-Map card and problems went away. Now I get to talk navionics.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Called Lowrance tech support, very helpful. Looks like the problem is with a navionics card I installed. I would have never thought of that. Switched back to C-Map card and problems went away. Now I get to talk navionics.
    Thats highly unusual. Never heard of a Navionics card affecting it in that way. Did Lowrance clarify why they suspect that to be the issue? I certainly am glad it seems to be fixed, but would like to hear more as you figure it out.

9. Member
    This is what turned out to be the issue according to Lowrance and Navionics. When I registered the navionics card , they said I somehow downloaded a bug onto the card which was then transferred to my Lowrance unit when I put it in and loaded the navionics card. Navionics says this unlikely. Lowrance says this has happened before. Final result is. I have a 1 year 4 month old unit that doesn’t work and is out of warranty. I understand how things like this can happen. The part that really disappointed me was Lowrance won’t even look at the unit unless i pay an upgrade fee upfront. That is almost $1000. And my upgrade cant even be a current model. I can only choose from another TI (not TI2), gen3, or carbon. I would not of thought that when i bought theses units.

10. Member
    Just a thought....did you pay for it with a credit card? Some cards automatically double the warrantee on items that are purchased with it.
    I used this service a couple years ago when I smashed a screen. Credit card company replaced it because they had a damage replacement rider.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    This is what turned out to be the issue according to Lowrance and Navionics. When I registered the navionics card , they said I somehow downloaded a bug onto the card which was then transferred to my Lowrance unit when I put it in and loaded the navionics card. Navionics says this unlikely. Lowrance says this has happened before. Final result is. I have a 1 year 4 month old unit that doesn’t work and is out of warranty. I understand how things like this can happen. The part that really disappointed me was Lowrance won’t even look at the unit unless i pay an upgrade fee upfront. That is almost $1000. And my upgrade cant even be a current model. I can only choose from another TI (not TI2), gen3, or carbon. I would not of thought that when i bought theses units.
    Man, I’m really sorry that you are having this kind of trouble. That doesn’t sound like a very good solution they are offering you. Ive never heard of a “bug” getting onto a Navionics card through updating because their installer program usually doesn’t allow for something like this. However, that doesn’t help the fact that you have something that went wrong with your unit. I hope it is resolved in a suitable fashion.