Trolling Motor Foot Switch - Something Different

I am fed up with the poor performance of the Sure-Foot and Big Foot trolling motor foot switches. My 6 month old Sure-Foot brand only works occasionally. It is cutting off and on. So, I decided to try something different. If it works for a year that will be an improvement over the plastic crap I have been using. I bought and mounted an SSC Controls FS500 switch. For those who haven't been keeping up with my trolling motor merry-go-round (and why would you), I have a 36 volt system with a solenoid in that set up. This switch was about $35 and took about 30 minutes to install. This is not a marine rated switch but I really don't care. It is metal and a lot more comfortable on the foot. I used a water-tight box connector and silicone on the seal of the bottom access plate. I used it for about 4 hours yesterday and worked every time I stepped on it.

I'll keep everyone informed with its performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rayzor; 10-20-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

2. Member
    What's the amp rating? If it just runs a solenoid it might be O.K. From what I remember I used Big Foot switches but took them apart and silver soldered the rivet to the cone and put them back together.

3. Member
    20 A, 125/250 VAC; 1 HP, 125 VAC; 2 HP, 250 VAC; 10 A, 125 VAC “L”; .50 A, 125 VDC; .25 A, 250 VDC

I'm surprised that the Sure Foot switch has given you problems. I've had one on my boat for 5+ years without an issue. Far better than the Big Foot, in my experience.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I'm surprised that the Sure Foot switch has given you problems. I've had one on my boat for 5+ years without an issue. Far better than the Big Foot, in my experience.
    I honestly don't understand it either. I had 2 on my Sea Pro for YEARS and never had a problem one. 2019 has been my year for boat problems. SHHHHHHH....
    Last edited by Rayzor; 10-24-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Dougherty View Post
    20 A, 125/250 VAC; 1 HP, 125 VAC; 2 HP, 250 VAC; 10 A, 125 VAC “L”; .50 A, 125 VDC; .25 A, 250 VDC
    Well, it hasn't been a year like I hoped. I have been having trouble with my trolling motor losing power again. It only lasts for about 5 minutes but there doesn't seem to be any logic to it. 90% of the time, I am just using it in a lower speed. It never cuts off while I am using it. I am fishing, I step on the foot switch and nothing. It's like it is getting "too hot" but how can it do that when it is not running? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

Could there be corrosion in the switch (or elsewhere) that's causing heat and tripping the breaker?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    The just cutting off sounds like a open armature. Next time it happens, reach down with something and move the prop a quarter turn. If it starts working, I would bet on either water in lower unit or bad armature. If it is a bad armature, moving the prop back to where it just stopped will result in a no running situation.

9. Member
    I agree with John on this issue in regards to the Motor not running all the time. In regards to the switch issues I find it strange that you have that many issues with the T & H switch. I have to ask this, but are you using the switches to activate the solenoid? Just a note too: the troll motor manufacturers recommend you hook up any device such as foot switch to the negative side of the power. That is far less abusive on the switch contacts.

I use a Big Foot switch to activate a continuous duty solenoid to turn on a trolling motor. It controls a transom trolling motor used when fishing electric-only waters, the switch is beside my bow trolling motor foot pedal. Never have had to replace the Big Foot switch for over 10 years. The solenoid is for a ATV winch lock-out.

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-62871-AT...996100&sr=8-16
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    I spent a lot of time talking to the good (new) people at Jones Trolling motor. I used their solenoid wiring system. I will check out what has been suggested to me about turning the prop and see what happens. Thanks to everyone. I will let you know.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

12. Member
    I don't understand that suggestion. you are interupting the same current no matter which polarity connection/switch you are making. Now if there is a flyback diode inside that switch to reduce arcing then it may make sense, if so then the switch should have + - markings.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    I don't understand that suggestion. you are interupting the same current no matter which polarity connection/switch you are making. Now if there is a flyback diode inside that switch to reduce arcing then it may make sense, if so then the switch should have + - markings.
    This is way above my pay grade. Maybe the experts can comment on your opinion. Thank you.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

14. Member
    The motor stopped 3 times today. Each time I turned the prop, it did not start working again. Each time, after a few minutes, it started working again. When I step on the foot pedal, I can always here the solenoid engage. When it does this stooping thing, I cannot hear the solenoid.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

Sounds to me like you've got a circuit breaker in the system that you don't know about. It cuts off when it gets hot and once it cools, it works again. Years ago a buddy had the same problem and it turns out there was a breaker he didn't know about right at his TM battery.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Sounds to me like you've got a circuit breaker in the system that you don't know about. It cuts off when it gets hot and once it cools, it works again. Years ago a buddy had the same problem and it turns out there was a breaker he didn't know about right at his TM battery.
    See the attached diagram. One side of the foot switch runs to the solenoid. The other side runs to the positive side of battery 1. One side of the plug runs to the solenoid and the other side goes through a 50amp circuit breaker, then to the positive side of battery 3. Wiring Diagram.pdf
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI