Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Post 4-Stroke Break-In Recommendations (75 and higher HP models)

Be sure to read your Engine Owner's Manual, which contains important information about the proper operation, maintenance, warranty and storage of your engine.

Proper engine break-in is critical to the lifespan and performance of your 4-Stroke engine.

In General: 10 Hours of Break-in (Total).

For the First Two Hours of Operation: Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Get the boat on plane, and operate the engine at up to 4500 RPM's (Important: Vary engine RPM's every 2-5 minutes). Run the engine to FULL THROTTLE for 60 seconds once every 10 minutes (approximately).

Additional Recommendation: Though not listed in Owner's Manuals, it is an excellent idea to have the engine make at least two (2) complete HEAT CYCLES during the first 2 hours of operation. A heat cycle consists of: Ambient temp, start engine, come to operating temp, run engine for at least 5 minutes on plane, return to idle, stabilize engine temp, shutdown engine and allow to cool to ambient temp. Note: Heat cycles CAN be done on different days.

For the Next 8 Hours of Operation: Full throttle may continue to be used, but engine RPM's should be varied/changed at least once every 5 minutes.

After Break-In: Normal operation and Maintenance.

Maintenance Note: Though not REQUIRED, it is wise to consider a 20 hour service (oil/filter and gear lube, plus careful inspection of the engine and retorque of steering, engine mounting, and other critical fasteners). Consider this as an investment in the longevity of your engine.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-16-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Thanks Don. Under the First Two Hours of Operation: you state: "Run the engine to FULL THROTTLE for 45 seconds once every 10 minutes (approximately)." Does that full throttle recommendation belong in the first two hours or during after the first two hours and in the "For the Next 8 Hours of Operation" or both? Thank you.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Take another look- that should clarify your question (bolder headings).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for putting this together! I'm on about hour 14 of my new engine. My dealer recommended first service interval at 40 hours and every 80 hours thereafter. Would the 20 hour service you recommend replace their recommended 40 hour service? And then I just go to yearly / every 80? I'm also well on pace to hit that 20 hour mark within five weeks of the engine's first crank if that factors in for any reason.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    20 Hour, and then: Once per Year- or every 100 Hours, whichever occurs FIRST. For many, that's 364.99 days or less (and for a few I know, that's once a month).

6. Member
    Don,
    I have completed the first two hours as instructed in the manual on my new 200L and went through 3 heat cycles during this period. I have a question about the next 8 hours. Can I trim the engine up and get run above 4500 rpm at full throttle during the 8 hours?

7. Member
    nwest10 this may be a stupid thing for me to point out, and I hope I don't one day pay for my mistake... but this was my first engine that the exhaust actually sits below the waterline trimmed all the way down at idle. Had probably idled for 15-20 mins with the exhaust snorkelling before I realized what was up.. only even mentioning it because you are asking about trimming it

but also, not don, but from his post, you can run it wide open as long as you keep varying the RPMs every 5 minutes. Which frankly with a hotfoot (that i imagine any boat with a 200l has on it) that is.. almost inevitable to do

8. Member
    And Don, thanks for the clarification!!

9. Member
    Juan, I kept it trimmed high enough when idling to keep the exhaust relief above the water line, but kept it trimmed low when running between 2000 - 4500 during the first 2 hrs of break in. I just want to know if now I can trim it up and let it develop full rpm during the next 8 hrs for short full throttle runs.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is no "trim it low" requirement for the V6/V8 Fourstroke engines. NORMAL trim is used.

11. Member
    I have a question. I have a new 300XP Pro V8 with 12 hours. I followed the break in procedures outlined in the owner's manual. Now upon restart after fishing for a while, the engine creates a large plume of blue smoke. The dipstick shows no loss of oil. Should I be concerned? I have discussed this with my dealer, but he didn't know what would cause the smoke.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aacoil View Post
    I have a question. I have a new 300XP Pro V8 with 12 hours. I followed the break in procedures outlined in the owner's manual. Now upon restart after fishing for a while, the engine creates a large plume of blue smoke. The dipstick shows no loss of oil. Should I be concerned? I have discussed this with my dealer, but he didn't know what would cause the smoke.
    First thing I would check is oil level. If oil level ( checked properly) is at or above top fill point I would bet that is your problem.

13. Member
    Thank you for the reply. I assume that I'm checking the oil level properly. Engine vertical and read the dipstick carefully. The oil is just at the top of the full mark. It doesn't appear to be over filled. Also, this is a Pro XS. My typo.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nope- you're overful (and also may not be checking properly). See the following link from the FAQ Section:
    V6/V8 Engine Oil Level and Capacity

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There is no "trim it low" requirement for the V6/V8 Fourstroke engines. NORMAL trim is used.
    Can you exceed the 4500 RPM limit during the 45 second WOT?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    Can you exceed the 4500 RPM limit during the 45 second WOT?
    Well yes... WOT better be higher than 4500.

17. Member
    Well yes... WOT better be higher than 4500.
    Just confirming :-) I think I reached 5500 or so during WOT during first 2 hours of break in at WOT. No where near 6200 RPM limit though.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwest10 View Post
    Juan, I kept it trimmed high enough when idling to keep the exhaust relief above the water line, but kept it trimmed low when running between 2000 - 4500 during the first 2 hrs of break in. I just want to know if now I can trim it up and let it develop full rpm during the next 8 hrs for short full throttle runs.
    During ur 8 hr break in u can hit full throttle for 5 min at a time and vary speed.

Ok I'm confused here..What is considered NORMAL trim? I've always trimmed my engines all the way down for take off. Is this not proper on the new 4 strokes. I ask because I will soon be getting a new boat with a new 4S.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPGfromBama View Post
    Ok I'm confused here..What is considered NORMAL trim? I've always trimmed my engines all the way down for take off. Is this not proper on the new 4 strokes. I ask because I will soon be getting a new boat with a new 4S.
    "Normal" as it is Normally Defined:

Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected

Or in Operational Terms: Utilize your trim to achieve the appropriate lift, speed, and control as you, the operator of the boat, deem appropriate for the current load, water conditions, and speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast