Thread: Agm question

Thumbs Up Agm question

Have a northstar 31 group agm ,purchased late 2016. Last 2 times out the battery quickly drops to 10 ish volts and won't power livewells and the 1 graph i have on this battery. However the battery has no problem starting my mercury 250. I checked battery when i got home yesterday, yup 10.6 volts on meter. Is it possible for this battery to lose it reserve power and maintain its cranking ability? Is 3 1/2 years typical life span for this battery? Battery is always on my minnkota charger any input greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    Sounds like it is running down. What is the rested voltage after charging?(24 hours with no charge and no load) Should be around 12.8. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It sounds like a shorted cell. Not common in AGMs, but not impossible. Do the test Bob suggested.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Will do gonna charge till charger indicates trickle than i will try what you guys suggest. What type of life span are you giys seeing that have this type of battery

5. Member
    I have had agms for 10 years. 3 sets of AGMs. I troll pulling cranks for 6 to 8 hours at a time most days. I need batteries that last the day, 3 to 3.5 years is about it for my use. They were not top of the line( Cabelas Advanced,not pure lead). Bob

6. Member
    You might want to check warranty, pretty sure the Northstar is 3-4years if it is bad.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    4 years for that North star

8. Member
    charged battery up charger putting out 13volts battery reached trickle mode pulled plug read 12.8 on volt meter. No further charging for 4 days checked battery 12.volts. Went to ramp checked battery 12.8 v motor started right up turned on accesories power the 1 finder i have on this battery read 10.8v and livewells would not work. Check starting battery 12.8v Not a tourney day so fish all day got home starting battery 12.8 volts. ?Checked power to acc panel 12v in 10.8 out! Nitro 2016Z21 digital keypad style system must be bad. I feel battery is fine. Thanks for the advice guys!

9. Member
    If I understand, you now get 12.8 on the battery and 10.8 at your boats panel. I would look for a bad or corroded connector from the battery to the panel before replacing the panel. Bob

10. Member
    the connector to the panel is reading 12v the power block after the panel is sitting at 10.8v

11. Member
    If your reading 12.8v at battery and 10.8v at the graph, you probably have bad connections or corrosion in your wiring. I would start by pulling the fuses to check for anything out of the norm. Good luck.
    Wes

12. Member
    Thanks H D i tried that disconnected the fuse panel 12 in 10 out of the switch with no loads attached

13. Member
    If there were no load attached it should have read the same on both sides,even with bad connections. Does it have push on connections? A new panel might fix it and is a good option if you can find a panel. If not either bypass that panel or clean all the connections. Bob

14. Member
    Plug and play switch panel it should be covered in my warranty