TJNYSNP

repitching of a prop ?

Not sure about this so asking.... i have a backup prop that i'm going to sell..... it is an Renegade BASS OMC part #176058 that looks like it is a 13.5 x 23 pitch for others being sold.

Mine, bought from a guy who gave fishing professionally a shot for a couple years.... has 25 "etched" on the side but has the "23" crossed out to a little 25 stapled next to it.

I seem to recall him saying he had the prop retuned for the boat.

Here are pics:

Am i right to think that he had it repitched to a 25" ?

Why would someone repitch a 23 to a 25 on a Renegade BASS prop vs. buy a new one ?

Going to sell it so trying to figure out how to state the description properly.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UI...hMipkJz6CpJOqp

2. Member
    Usually prop shops re-pitch 1 pitch up or down. To be sure you would have to lay it on pitch blocks to see what it is.

3. Banned
    New prop $500 or so... Re-pitch a prop $200 or so... It's just cheaper to balance and blue print a prop versus buying new... Dan

4. TJNYSNP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    New prop $500 or so... Re-pitch a prop $200 or so... It's just cheaper to balance and blue print a prop versus buying new... Dan
    Thanks Dan.

5. Member
    He has the vent holes drilled on the wrong side of the blades,most are behind the blade. I wonder how that will affect the performance?

6. TJNYSNP
    What do the holes do ? Where there when i bought it

7. Banned
    Holes allow exhaust to escape over the blades, that allows the prop to slip, which helps increase RPMs for a better hole shot. They don't serve a purpose once you're up and running... That is a strange location for the holes... Check with a prop guy (Mark Croxton, board sponsor) he may know the reason... Dan

I cant see the pics... But vents should be on the negative pressure side of the blades... Back side...Small holes on the pressure face side of the blade are drilled to squirt water on the hub to keep cool... Normally only done on rubber pressed in hubs and for DFI motors that burn and melt rubber pressed in hubs. These are called "Cooling holes"

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I cant see the pics... But vents should be on the negative pressure side of the blades... Back side...Small holes on the pressure face side of the blade are drilled to squirt water on the hub to keep cool... Normally only done on rubber pressed in hubs and for DFI motors that burn and melt rubber pressed in hubs. These are called "Cooling holes"
    It is a pressed hub, and they are small holes, Didn't the E-Techs have issues melting hubs?

Yes, as well as HPDI and Optimax... All DFI motors.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Normally the Renegade doesn't have vent holes in them as the is a smaller barrel prop. If blow out is too excessive a "weed ring" is installed in the gearcase so the exhaust gases are channeled thru the hub and not over it.

12. TJNYSNP
    Hi Mark, your response came to help my old memory! I was running a 2002 225 HO Ficht and when the guy sold me the prop he told me that the holes were there as a safety measure related to how hot the exhaust is on the Ficht DFIs and it would be safety for me to keep hub cool. At the time/years i was making long runs down Champlain in tournaments.

So makes sense why the holes are on the front side.

I've never been a speed daemon.

The prop worked well and i would put it on when i was fishing rough water or expecting high winds.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain... learned alot

13. Banned
    Small holes on the pressure face side of the blade are drilled to squirt water on the hub to keep cool... Normally only done on rubber pressed in hubs and for DFI motors that burn and melt rubber pressed in hubs. These are called "Cooling holes"
    Never heard of that... Thanks for the lesson... Dan