Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helix 9 2D/GPS depth reading probem

The problem I am having is that on plane, the depth reading seems fine most of the time. When idling or on trolling motor, it shows the depth to be 1.9'

I did the 1.9 software update and it did not fix the problem.

Wayne

2. Member
    This never happened to anyone else??

Wayne

3. Member
    Yes 1.9 did to me as well. Supposed to fix it but did not. Helix 12 KVD SI (gen 1), only on plane. 2d sonar functional thru hull.
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 10-21-2019 at 09:17 AM.

4. Member
    ...and what model unit? There are a lot of helix 9 models. Sounds like settings but need more info on setup. Not understanding how you get performance on plane and then not on TM from the same unit/transducer.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    I don't understand it either. That's why I posted it here, hoping someone could shed some light on what is happening.
    Helix 9 Chirp GPS G2N with probably 25 hours on it, if that. Was installed on boat by the dealer I bought the boat from.
    Shoot through hull transducer. I have no idea how the transducer is mounted as it is under the batteries in the bilge.

It is on a Champion 201. Works like a charm as long as the boat is on plane.

Wayne

6. Member
    Would recommend trying the latest software version 2.11.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

7. Member
    Mine ( Helix 9 Si gen 1) has been unable to find the depth since I did the update to 1.9. Humminbird had me send them a SD card of my data so they could analyze what the problem might be. That was well over a year a go. It's obsolete now that they let a year pass without resolution and now call it obsolete.. You are stuck with a locator that can't tell you how deep the water is. I do need to get a working unit. Wonder what brand I should buy?
    Please release me,let me go.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Mine ( Helix 9 Si gen 1) has been unable to find the depth since I did the update to 1.9. Humminbird had me send them a SD card of my data so they could analyze what the problem might be. That was well over a year a go. It's obsolete now that they let a year pass without resolution and now call it obsolete.. You are stuck with a locator that can't tell you how deep the water is. I do need to get a working unit. Wonder what brand I should buy?
    You've found no settings would help? Changing Max Depth closer to actual depth helps when I have a problem (Gen1 H10/H12).
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

9. Member
    ezfishin, thanks, I had not heard about the 2.11 software. How do I discover that a new software version has come out?

I'll do the update and see if that helps. I really need a side imaging unit anyway, so I will probably replace this one if I can't get it to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneM1946 View Post
    ezfishin, thanks, I had not heard about the 2.11 software. How do I discover that a new software version has come out?

I'll do the update and see if that helps. I really need a side imaging unit anyway, so I will probably replace this one if I can't get it to work properly.
    Current software is on the Humminbird website, just have to check occasionally to see if any new version is listed.
    AND someone on this site usually posts when a new software version is released.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    You've found no settings would help? Changing Max Depth closer to actual depth helps when I have a problem (Gen1 H10/H12).
    Since I fish shallow a lot I change mx depth a lot or leave it on auto. Neither makes any difference. If I'm shallow it can read whatever. If I'm deep it can read 1.9 feet. Odd that it seems to find 1.9 feet a lot. Software version is 1.9 as well. All I really want to do is map as the water I fish isn't available for purchase so I make mine with auto chart. So it's a real pain when the depth reading is making my maps incorrect. Never had this issue until 1.9 software came out. But I am more upset that Humminbirds fix broke my unit and they can't resolve it.
    Please release me,let me go.

12. Member
    You could revert back to 1.64 if you have the software. I'm using 1.9 on bow and console units but have never seen a problem in deeper water (over 10'). I only occasionally see a problem in shallow water but able correct it with max depth and surface clutter.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

13. Member
    I got the 2.11 SW update done yesterday. Now I just need to get back on the water and see if it changed anything.

Wayne

14. Member
    I've had the same problem all summer as well.
    What is this 2.11 SW update you speak of?
    I only see the 1.9 update for my helix 9 gen1.

Quote Originally Posted by Z175MAN View Post
    I've had the same problem all summer as well.
    What is this 2.11 SW update you speak of?
    I only see the 1.9 update for my helix 9 gen1.
    You cannot install 2.110 in your first generation Helix 9.
    1.900 is the current software for your unit.

Current software is on the Humminbird website listed by model and series.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    I called Humminbird's Tech Line and was given a few things to check out. One of the things was to try different noise filter settings. I went out to my unit today and was not able to find a setting called "noise filter". Where is that function located? Is it identified as noise filter or by some other terminology?

I still have not been out on the water since I updated the SW.

Wayne

17. Member
    It will be under Sonar Menu. May have to be in Custom Mode (Setup Menu).
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

2.11 fixes the depth probs on a G2.

I figured everyone knew that by now LOL

19. Member
    MonteSS, I hope you are right. Some of us "More Mature Guys" have a little trouble with the techy stuff. I haven't gone back out yet. Tomorrow if the weather cooperates. The lake I fish is so low, almost all the boat ramps are closed, so going out on Sunday afternoon is out. The few ramps that are open will be really busy. Beautiful day here though.

Wayne

Sorry Wayne. But you will be very happy with the update. Si and Di are improved too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast