Mercury 250XB momentarily cutting off

Serial number OT430860 I believe I have the 4000 model shifter assembly

Went fishing Friday and boat ran great all day until I was heading back to ramp. Just about 2 miles from ramp cruising around 45mph it started to cut out for a split second. It was like you turned the ignition off or hit the kill switch for a split second. I played with the kill switch and noticed if you just barely moved it down it would cut off.

I dont believe this is fuel related but feel it might be a electrical issue with either the kill switch or ignition switch. Due to this being very intermittent I know it will be difficult to troubleshoot. Anyone else have any good testing advice for this or something similar happen to you?
    Last edited by Melton Jason; 10-20-2019 at 04:56 AM.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

2. Member
    A good ohm meter and check those switches I had one recently *(not on a boat)* that if you would shake it some it would read open.

3. Member
    Make sure the hoop on the lanyard is pushed all the way up above the bat handle of the switch. The switch should CLICK into the up position.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also check the cannon plug connector at the engine- clean the male pins, spread them slightly with an exacto knife, and reconnect. Make sure connector is locked into it's retaining bracket to prevent vibration.

Make sure there are no strange glitches in the keyswitch (stalls when wiggling, hanging at start position, failure to "click" at run or off positions, binding at points when turning, etc).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor