2018 ZX225 - looking for Advice

Hi all, I have an '18 ZX225 and was hoping to get some advice relating to setup. Boat in stock setup with the jackplate at 7 dots (and stock T2 prop) with full fuel, two people and about 40 lbs of gear runs fully trimmed at about 5850 and 68 mph but I have a real high rooster tail is. Probably 10 to 15 feet high. As I understand it shouldn't be higher than cowl. Water pressure is at about 18.5 psi at wide open throttle with that stock setup. I've dropped the jackplate to 5 dots to try and reduce the roster tail but it's still pretty high and my rpms drop to about 5750 and top speed about 67mph.

Ive read getting the prop worked and tip cup added might help? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    So you lowered the jackplate? Have you tried raising it??????
    I have same boat/motor combination. Jack plate at 8 dots, 15psi on water, running 6000 RPM’s

It’s always better to have actual set up PTP measurements to achieve maximum performance verses working off number of dots on jackplate or a dial.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    After trimming up all the way at wot, bump the trim down a couple clicks, you might be over trimming.

5. Member
    As just stated, put your jackplate back up to 8, trim all the way up, when you max out at 68, bump the trim down 2 quick bumps. Should lower the roster tail and give you a couple more mph. Also the zx is very weight sensitive, if you have to much weight in the front, this will also happen.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Beaverfan, I was told lowering the plate would help reduce the rooster tail, which is why I've tried lowering rather than raising. Crank, I did The prop to pad measurement with the stock setup but I've misplaced my notes... If I recall it was 2". My current prop to pad is 2.25" at 6 dots showing (my initial post mistakenly said 5 dots).

Densik I try to have most of my gear in the back. Rods, several light tackle boxes and some soft Plastics is all I typically try to carry up front. I'll have to try raising the motor as suggested.