Metal garage questions

I had a 24×36×14 garage put up at my summer place for the boat and old cars , it's on a slab , questions are has anyone had spray foam insulation done? How about any inside wall covering or a loft perhaps ? I need some ideas for the next phase I appreciate any pictures or ideas.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

2. Member
    Yes I have a 40x70 that has spray insulation on the walls and roll insulation ceiling. Metal walls and ceiling. Amazing how warm it stays even without a heater. I also built a loft then put the metal with j channel surrounding wood so it looks good too.

3. Member
    I did not do spay in insulation. To expensive and messy. I used r8 HVAC insulation in the walls and doubled it up for the ceiling. That way I have the chrome face touching the ceiling and the second layer facing down so the chrome backing is facing the open space. Reflects light great and no insulation particals falling from the ceiling. So r-8 in the walls and r16 in the ceiling.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

4. Member
    It would have been much easier to insulate before the roof was installed.
    If you dont insulate the ceiling will sweat and drip, plus the fact of heating
    and cooling is better. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

5. Member
    Double post
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

6. Member
    Should of had the contractors put vinyl back insulation on. Most people for some reason don’t like paying the little bit extra till it’s too late. Have a personal shop that’s 30x60x14 with vinyl back and only a 60k btu propane wall heater that easily keeps it at 55-60 all winter and burns very little propane.

JINX...and how does that R6 - R16 combo do controlling temp etc?

I am currently tossed up between a traditional pole barn and a metal garage for the new house - so anyone with any info, shout it out, I would like to hear your thoughts

9. Banned
    ^^^^ Its a toss up cost wise if your building a traditional 2x6 wall. The thing a traditional beats out a pole style is finishing costs on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    ^^^^ Its a toss up cost wise if your building a traditional 2x6 wall. The thing a traditional beats out a pole style is finishing costs on the inside.
    not FOR the house ---as a garage AT the new house. :)
    But - considering there will be a work shop etc - I am thinking a pole building is a wee more versatile than a metal garage.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    JINX...and how does that R6 - R16 combo do controlling temp etc?
    It does great. I run heat and AC in it. I must have a climate controlled area for installing wraps. I can take a 40k btu propane heater and keep it at roughly 70 degrees and only burn about 80 gallons a winter. As far as AC I think it is a 7.5 ton unit and can keep the garage between 72-78 during the summer.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm have a 30x30 basic metal shop. If installing hvac insulation or any type of similar insulation on ceiling what is used to keep it up there?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    not FOR the house ---as a garage AT the new house. :)
    But - considering there will be a work shop etc - I am thinking a pole building is a wee more versatile than a metal garage.
    You still have the cost of either one to stud or fir the walls out to insulate,cover them. One thing that can save you money in the long run on a pole vs a steel is have the builder cut the wall girts and place them on edge in between the posts. That gives you a 24" space to hold insulation horizontally and an edge to use for your your finishing material.

14. Member
    I was told the spray foam can make the structure more sound and solid besides insulation , I plan on covering the walls eventually . .. I think I am more curious about how neat it looks after spraying it . I plan on hanging a horizontal oil fired furnace at some point .
    Thanks guys for all the input this project is a slow mover been doing it with pocket money one stage at a time , need electricity next .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO