Thread: Bad Tach?

Bad Tach?

I have a 07 Ranger 521 with a 06 250 HPDI with a 10” JP. I was running the boat today and looked down at the tach and it showed 6800.
    Speed was only 66
    Prop is 25P Yamaha T1.
    Jack plate is set to 1” from lowest setting and engine set in 1 hole up from lowest setting.
    Could this be right? Or is the tach bad? I thought these engines had a rev limiter at around 6100.

It’s a oem Ranger Analog Tach.
    Whats the best tach option? Maybe the Yamaha digital multifunction tach? I have looked at them but not sure which one I need for my boat and the way they are listed it’s unclear what model will work and I would need a wire harness t get back to the engine.

Analog tachs are noted for not being accurate but yours is waaay off. Before replacing try checking on the back of the tach there should be a switch which sets how many cylinders on the engine. Turn the switch all the way one direction, then all the way the other direction, then back where it was when you started. It has been known for the contacts to get dirty and throw the tach off. Just something to try.

yes you can get the Yamaha digital multifunction tach. I'm not an expert on which one you need. When I had one of those on a previous boat it only showed the rpms as a two digit number. 58 would be 5800 rpm. You can also get the Yamaha nmea interface cable and display the information on most graphs. there are also aftermarket digital tachs available.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan