Getting Ready to Make the Switch and Need Help

I think I'm going to switch to Humminbird and need some help in selecting units. I'm pretty sure I want to go to Helix over Solix units due to the difference in power consumption and running 3 units off 1 battery as well as all the other stuff in my boat. That said I need to understand how Humminbird units share their capabilities. I believe from research any G3 unit it capable of viewing CHIRP/SI/DI through the Ethernet network hub, but I just want to make sure. I have reason to have SI or DI on the bow, but want to leave the possibility of 360 in the future. With that said, I think I can get away with 1 mega SI unit and 2 CHIRP units and through networking everyone of them can see SI and DI from the SI unit....right?

Also I have gas tank, oil tank, and livewell temps on NMEA 2000 so I need the gateway to to plug the Helix units up to NMEA 2000 too...right?

Help me out, cause this is a big change for me and I want to do it right the first time and not make an expensive mistake. Point out anything I may be missing....oh yea heading sensor....assuming Ethernet hub.

With multiple units, you need at least one that has the sonar technology so you can share it to other units.
    If you put a SI unit at the console you can share it to a DI or CHIRP unit at the bow or another one at the console. Depends on where you put two units.

Also if you get the new MEGA 360, that connects to a unit transducer port and can be used for Side Imaging also. A DI unit at the bow with the DI transducer on the trolling motor plus the MEGA 360 connected would give you 2D/DI/SI/360 at the bow from trolling motor mounted transducers, no need to share from the transom/console.

The third unit can be the CHIRP model and used at the console or bow. It can display any sonar data from the console or bow or a mixture. Do not need to connect a transducer to it.
    IF you get a Minnkota iPilot LINK motor with built in MEGA DI or MEGA SI you don't need to attach a transducer to the bottom of the motor.
    MDI would be best if you get the MEGA 360.

With three displays and the NMEA2K, that is four Ethernet connections. That takes the AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch. Each device connects to the Switch via Ethernet cable. Each display needs an Ethernet adapter AS EC QDE to connect an Ethernet cable to them.

If you want to have DI at the bow, you wouldn't want DI coming from the transom, so think of what technologies you want and their origin to the shared.

Yes you would need the AS ETH NMEA2K to have engine data displayed on one or all units. That is an Ethernet accessory.

As far as GPS/Heading, Helix units do not share Heading separate from GPS, so the best installation is a AS GPS HS at the bow for the bow unit/s to stabilize position when there is no Course line due to going too slow. An AS GRP at the transom so GPS and Sonar will be at the same place for more accurate waypoint marking and locating. Makes Auto Chart/Live mapping when operating the outboard more accurate.

If you get a iPilot LINK motor, you don't need the AS GPS HS since you can get Heading and GPS from the iPilot. LINK is an additional Ethernet connection.
    The Minnkota heading sensor is easier to deal with as far as location away from compass interference, the GPS part will be the trolling motor.

Three displays, NMEA2K and iPilot LINK will use up all 5 Ethernet ports on the Switch.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

This shows three displays with an External GPS antenna connected to one of them and the iPilot. That gives each of the three displays 5 choices for a GPS source.
    The menu shown is from the unit listed first.

If I would have had the transom GPS antenna connected to the console unit, there would be 6 choices for a GPS source.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    As awesome as my Helix/Ultrex set up has been, I wouldn’t have it to what it is without the wealth of knowledge of Wayne and his continued efforts to help... can’t add anything for the OP. Hats off to Wayne

Buy the way, read up and jump in, this forum is full of good people and information and I have zero regrets switching.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    This shows three displays with an External GPS antenna connected to one of them and the iPilot. That gives each of the three displays 5 choices for a GPS source.
    The menu shown is from the unit listed first.

If I would have had the transom GPS antenna connected to the console unit, there would be 6 choices for a GPS source.

Wayne those might be the most informative responses I have ever gotten in here. Thank you for that.

My current setup I have an Ultrex with remote, but no ipilot link...didnt need it with my current setup. It does have a standard 2d xducer in it. My SI/DI comes off the transom, but is networked up there. I use more 2d up front and just watch DI and SI to determine brush and bait balls suspended using the xducer off the transom. I dont want to hang another DI xducer off my ultrex and fine just reading DI off the transom. I do however want to have access to 360 up front for future, just dont think I will have the cash for the investment up front.

Explaining it that way, what units would I need? I know for sure I need 1 MSI unit, but not sure how many MDI units vs just CHIRP with them all being networked together.

Just a clarification....I need 2 heading sensors as they aren't shared over network?

You will need a DI or SI unit to run the MEGA 360. Don't have to connect a DI or SI transducer to the unit, just need an Imaging capable G3N unit.

The CHO DI version would do what you need at the bow -----maybe, doesn't come with a transducer. Don't know about using the Dual Beam US2 along with the MEGA 360 though. Need to do some investigation about that. All the G3 units are standard HW CHIRP 2D sonar.

Only "need" one AS GPS HS to give you Heading at the bow.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You will need a DI or SI unit to run the MEGA 360. Don't have to connect a DI or SI transducer to the unit, just need an Imaging capable G3N unit.

The CHO DI version would do what you need at the bow -----maybe, doesn't come with a transducer. Don't know about using the Dual Beam US2 along with the MEGA 360 though. Need to do some investigation about that. All the G3 units are standard HW CHIRP 2D sonar.

Only "need" one AS GPS HS to give you Heading at the bow.
    Thanks Wayne. I'd like to have 360 off the trolling motor (as in 360 xducer hanging off trolling motor not transom) in the future so a DI unit would be needed up there.

I would use 2 units at the console. 1 for SI/Di and the other for mapping and 2D. I think for the bow I need a mega SI unit and the other one I can get away with a CHIRP.

The bow is what I need to figure out. There isnt much difference in price...so I might just end up with the mega DI unit to.make sure I am covered. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bdub View Post
    Thanks Wayne. I'd like to have 360 off the trolling motor (as in 360 xducer hanging off trolling motor not transom) in the future so a DI unit would be needed up there.

I would use 2 units at the console. 1 for SI/Di and the other for mapping and 2D. I think for the bow I need a mega SI unit and the other one I can get away with a CHIRP.

The bow is what I need to figure out. There isnt much difference in price...so I might just end up with the mega DI unit to.make sure I am covered. Thoughts?
    For MEGA 360 there will only be the trolling motor versions (Fortrex and Ultrex). Don't need a SI unit at the bow since you can't have SI and MEGA 360 connected at the same time so a DI unit makes sense.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL