Let's talk jig rods.

So just curious what brand of ice jig rods you guys are using. Anyone using any of the more expensive custom rods? I need to buy a few new rods this year as I had a few mishaps at the end of last season and most of my rods i liked are done for. I am half tempted to buy a few more expensive rods as the cheapy ones always seem to snap or crack and I'm sick of wasting money. I am usually going for perch or crappie. I occasionally fish for lakers and smallies but dont really jig for them. What you guys got that you like.

2. Member
    I'm quite partial to Tuned Up Custom Rods. They're tough rods, and available in actions and lengths I really like.

Some of the Dave Genz rods from Clam are pretty sweet as well.

Get a quality rod, and you'll find exceptional versatility. Also, i'd recommend staying away from any hollow blanks. Thorne Brothers, and many other high end ice rods use hollow graphite for most of their offerings...and they break very easily.

3. Member
    Tuned up rods is on my short list. I want a good perch rod. Do they seem very sensitive?

4. Member
    +1 for Tuned-up
    Also have a couple really nice St.Croix ice rods. Just like open water, the nicer rods are fun if you don’t mind spending the money. Nice part is even a awesome ice rod isn’t anywhere near the price of a open water rod.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    Tuned up rods is on my short list. I want a good perch rod. Do they seem very sensitive?
    I have several of their rods. Bullwhips, Precisions, Precision Noodles, Quicktips, and one of the Fusions. All are ery sensitive, except the Bullwhip, but that rod has an extra soft tip, similar to a spring bobber. But, it is also powerful enough, that I use it for small jigs fishing walleyes.

Most of the rods I listed will fish up to 1/8th oz spoons well. If you go heavier, the Precision is the way to go.

Love those blue St. Croix Premier ice rods. Wish they still made them. I have a Fenwick and trying an Abu Veritas this year, but Premier is in my mitts 90% of the time.

7. Member
    I like the bro series by Frabill. Brian Brosdahl gave me one a few years back and it’s by far the best rod I’ve used. Super soft tip so you can see smelt bite the bait but had enough backbone that it handled a 18” walleye and 3lb largemouth wicked good.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

The Frabill Bro Series Quick Tip rods are really good, agree with that! The medium to longer ones actually have plenty of power to fish for just about anything under the ice short of big pike, lakers, or sturgeon.

Bass Khang has some awesome blanks as well, and his true custom builds are priced right in line with the high dollar "custom" (mass produced, really) rods from other companies. I have built three for myself on his perch carbon blanks and use them as my primary jigging rods for everything from gills to walleye, and it's handled walleye up over 25" really well. The walleye carbon are (not surprisingly) a little heavier and are good for bigger presentations, I've just found the perch carbons to be more versatile.

https://basskhang.com/
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    Basskhang is good

I use a 50" St Croix rod for Walleye and have pulled in up to 32" Walleye with no issues
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_finder1 View Post
    Basskhang is good
    +1 I bought some blanks from them and made some really nice rods for about 20 bucks, they have a soft tip so no need for a spring bobber but load up quickly and plenty of backbone.