Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question what happens if you use regular water instead of distilled in a battery?

What is the reason to only use distilled water in a battery , instead of regular water ? just a dumb question I guess but was wondering after checking my water level today in my batteries?
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    I dunno but I filled my lawn mower battery with tap water 3 years ago and haven't had an issue lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    What is the reason to only use distilled water in a battery , instead of regular water ? just a dumb question I guess but was wondering after checking my water level today in my batteries?
    Distilled water won't boil. Impurity free. What that's good, I have no idea.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It depends on the water. Minerals in water can cause deposits in the cells and shorten battery life. Some water is fine, but distilled water is so cheap it’s hardly worth taking a chance.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by izzylipz View Post

Distilled water will boil.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    just curious that's why I asked... I used distilled but my mind was wandering and thinking??? lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

7. Member
    It’s the mineral in tap water that is the concern as the water evaporates the mineral is left and causes scale build up on the plates. With distilled there is no mineral left to leave deposits. Lawnmower you can probably get away with but marine batteries are charged heavier and cycled more causing more evaporation=more deposits.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    It’s the mineral in tap water that is the concern as the water evaporates the mineral is left and causes scale build up on the plates. With distilled there is no mineral left to leave deposits. Lawnmower you can probably get away with but marine batteries are charged heavier and cycled more causing more evaporation=more deposits.
    ^^^
    Wise this gent is
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I tried boiling it and it didn't bubble. It's pure H2O. No sediments, chemicals, butt funk.

I tried boiling it and it didn't bubble. It's pure H2O. No sediments, chemicals, butt funk.

It will boil. Its boiling temp really is not far off of regular water.

11. Member
    You didnt use enough a heat lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Look at your toilet, sink, shower, etc...that’s whats in tap water, and why CLR was invented!

Distilled water doesn’t have these things to screw up the plates in your batteries.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    This. I get nothing but sealed batteries these days.

Distilled water won't boil.

What?

15. Member
    Your profile says you are re-learning what you lost. This statement of yours appears to be a teaching moment.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=boiling+temper...istilled+water
    the reference dot com link is solidly reliable
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

16. Member
    I use condensate water from my AC. Don't know if that is good or bad but that is what they are going to get. Light use so only add every couple of yeare.

Yes

I tried boiling it and it didn't bubble. It's pure H2O.
    Uhhhhh ....

Scooter: Nov 1998-Jul 2011
    Otis: Oct 2010-Feb 2017

19. Member
    Distilled water is.....catch this......water. 2 H's and an O. It's made by boiling regular water, that's why it's called distilled. It boils at 212 F at sea level.

The boiling point of distilled water is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.The boiling point of water can be higher or lower depending on several factors.
    Altitude has an effect on the boiling point of water, according to the What's Cooking America website. The boiling point of water is about 2 degrees Fahrenheit lower for every 1,000 feet above sea level. Impurities also change the boiling point in water, typically raising the boiling point. Impurities that can be found in water include chemicals added to tap water and minerals found in hard water. Other things that have an effect on the boiling point of water are the weather and the size and shape of the container being used.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast