Winter Storage? Gas tank full or empty?

Going out tomorrow afternoon for what will probably be the last trip until I either tag out in deer season or season is over. Living in East Texas the winters aren’t too bad at all. Boat sits outside under a cover. I’ve heard it both ways, that it’s better to leave the tank full and then to leave it empty. Reason behind doing both seem to make sense. I run ethanol free gas only, use Dons cocktail each time I get gas along with adding 150:1 PP oil. What is the true best way to store the boat? I will be adding QuikStor to gas if full is the best answer. I have a 2011 ProXS with s/n 1B804959 Just trying to decide whether or not to top off the tank or do some running tomorrow...
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either is acceptable.

How long will your boat really be sitting?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Up in the frozen north ours are stored half the year, I’ve done both but prefer to run it almost dry and fill with fresh in the spring. I treat the last of the fuel (maybe 3-4 gallons) with winter concentrations of stabilizer and run it till the light comes on. When it was 6 gallon tanks I didn’t care so much but 40+ gallons just sitting there I never cared for.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    Living in PA I store with the least amount of fuel possible. I would rather have a little amount of old gas compared to 50 gallons.

5. Member
    I always want my tank full. I don't know how summer/winter blends of fuel works these days, but I always wanted my tanks full with summer blend gas over the winter storage season. So I always fill up in September while summer blend gas is still available (I fill 10 gallon cans of summer blend gas to top my boat off).

Years ago I was filling up at a gas station in Mayville NY in mid April and there was a Quick Fill service guy working on one of the pumps. I asked him which blend of gas was in the tanks and he told me winter blend.

Since I run my boat in warmer weather, I wanted summer blend gas.

I run a Prius and once October hits, my mpg fall off, once May hits my mpg goes back up. I was always told by the Toyota dealership that mpg change is due to the summer/winter blends of gas.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

6. Member
    It will most likely sit and not be run until January, probably not much in January but then will most likely start going regularly in March. I’m thankful that the winters here pretty mild
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    I always want my tank full. I don't know how summer/winter blends of fuel works these days, but I always wanted my tanks full with summer blend gas over the winter storage season. So I always fill up in September while summer blend gas is still available (I fill 10 gallon cans of summer blend gas to top my boat off).

Years ago I was filling up at a gas station in Mayville NY in mid April and there was a Quick Fill service guy working on one of the pumps. I asked him which blend of gas was in the tanks and he told me winter blend.

Since I run my boat in warmer weather, I wanted summer blend gas.

I run a Prius and once October hits, my mpg fall off, once May hits my mpg goes back up. I was always told by the Toyota dealership that mpg change is due to the summer/winter blends of gas.
    I’m not saying you’re wrong but from what I have read the blends of gasoline don’t change in the winter/summer like diesel does. The reason mileage is affected is due to the density of the air been drawn into the motor. Similar to how a performance boat driver will change the prop when running in the dog days of summer (hot/humid) compared to mid weather. I’m not an expert by any means, just what I’ve read especially with turbo motors.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

8. Member
    I would suggest one of the two extremes. IE full or empty. Full leaves little room for air and associated moisture to get in and be absorbed by the alcohol, which will produce an acidic mess that won't burn and can clog/damager other parts of the fuel system. Empty allows moisture in, but there is little alcohol to absorb it, again reducing the chance for acidity and damage.

Half full is the worst case, plenty of room for air/moisture to get in, plenty of alcohol to absorb it and cause mischief.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    I’m not saying you’re wrong but from what I have read the blends of gasoline don’t change in the winter/summer like diesel does. The reason mileage is affected is due to the density of the air been drawn into the motor. Similar to how a performance boat driver will change the prop when running in the dog days of summer (hot/humid) compared to mid weather. I’m not an expert by any means, just what I’ve read especially with turbo motors.
    Eyeballs,
    Unlike diesel (#2 fuel oil), which does not change its chemistry between summer and winter, apart from adding an anti gelling additive for winter months in cold weather states, gasoline chemistry (hydrocarbons blend) is altered in summer months to create less smog and vapors do to atmospheric pressure change especially in climates with temps higher than 100*F where EPA mandates 7.5-9psi not the usual 14.5psi during cold/cooler months. So, the switch occurs about the same time as diesel get the anti gel, and in Upshit NY that is the last week of September.
    As for turbos and superchargers, they create pressure (aka air density) by compressing air coming in thru the CAI, which is measured by a boost gauge in psi. Normally, they are affected more by elevation than humidity, since a good turbo setup will run an air charge system ahead of the blower. I believe that your 3.5 V6 motor (which may even be a Mazda) has 2 turbos trying to compensate for lack of displacement and a 10 speed not to load it up at low RMPs so hopefully, it can move your truck and trailer.
    BTW, as for boat tank storage, I store mine totally full (45 gals) of non ethanol poisoned fuel and the Don Weed cocktail blend, and come Spring it will fire that '04 Merc 225 EFI 2 stroke giving me a wonderful aroma reminiscent of napalm.
    Last edited by digthemup; 10-19-2019 at 07:29 PM.

I’ve always filled mine up, and used stabilizer in my last couple tanks of the season ( only non ethanol fuel in my boat), and it sits from early December to late April through some pretty cold weather. I’ve never once had any kind of fuel issue in any of my boats doing it this way.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Eyeballs,
    Unlike diesel (#2 fuel oil), which does not change its chemistry between summer and winter, apart from adding an anti gelling additive for winter months in cold weather states, gasoline chemistry (hydrocarbons blend) is altered in summer months to create less smog and vapors do to atmospheric pressure change especially in climates with temps higher than 100*F where EPA mandates 7.5-9psi not the usual 14.5psi during cold/cooler months. So, the switch occurs about the same time as diesel get the anti gel, and in Upshit NY that is the last week of September.
    As for turbos and superchargers, they create pressure (aka air density) by compressing air coming in thru the CAI, which is measured by a boost gauge in psi. Normally, they are affected more by elevation than humidity, since a good turbo setup will run an air charge system ahead of the blower. I believe that your 3.5 V6 motor (which may even be a Mazda) has 2 turbos trying to compensate for lack of displacement and a 10 speed not to load it up at low RMPs so hopefully, it can move your truck and trailer.
    BTW, as for boat tank storage, I store mine totally full (45 gals) of non ethanol poisoned fuel and the Don Weed cocktail blend, and come Spring it will fire that '04 Merc 225 EFI 2 stroke giving me a wonderful aroma reminiscent of napalm.

Thanks for the explanation. Very helpful. I totally agree that the switchover occurs in late September. My Prius mpg start dropping in early October even without cold temps. I know it makes the news every year on why gas prices go up during this switchover.

Am I correct in storing my boat over the winter using Don's cocktail and fuel stabilizer using summer blend gas?
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Blends change constantly- and how constantly depends on the area of the country. RVP values are one of several factors involved in blending.

Rcraigrrt: As long as you're not storing in a very WET environment, I would treat the fuel well, and run it down to a safe/low level for storage.

Start with a fresh load of fuel when you put the boat back into service.

BTW... There is some info on this topic in the FAQ Section (under Recommended Annual Maintenance and Winterization for Optimax Engines).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Blends change constantly- and how constantly depends on the area of the country. RVP values are one of several factors involved in blending.

Rcraigrrt: As long as you're not storing in a very WET environment, I would treat the fuel well, and run it down to a safe/low level for storage.

Start with a fresh load of fuel when you put the boat back into service.

BTW... There is some info on this topic in the FAQ Section (under Recommended Annual Maintenance and Winterization for Optimax Engines).
    ^^^
    +1

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    Am I correct in storing my boat over the winter using Don's cocktail and fuel stabilizer using summer blend gas?
    Well, unless your governor came up with a new scheme in getting the ice to leave Lake Erie and Chautauqua any earlier than the rest of NY, which will be around April otherwise, summer blend would be back at the pumps by that time anyway. Nevertheless, I would say you are safe as long as you use Mr Weed's cocktail at every fill up.
    BTW, if you ever get a chance to get out of NY, grab it with 2 hands and run.

15. Member
    Here in Birmingham, we have been on various EPA restrictions for years. The fix for our pollution in the Summer was always oxygenated fuel (AKA as ethanol added). Also increased the price of fuel during the summer. We don't seem to have summer/winter blends any more, nor summer/winter pricing changes. Gas is simply bad all the time with 10% ethanol almost everywhere.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

16. Member
    ^^^^

Pretty much the same here, I treat fuel and keep my tank full year round, 11yrs with ethanol only and no issues.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Member
    ^^^^^^ X 3 full tanks, non-ethanol and your favorite stabilizer. I like Startron or Seafoam depending on my mood:)

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalliStratos View Post
    ^^^^^^ X 3 full tanks, non-ethanol and your favorite stabilizer. I like Startron or Seafoam depending on my mood:)
    Just make sure you're actually using a STABILIZER (not all treatments actually "stabilize" fuel for storage).

19. Member
    Check out the flame test in the video Ranger Rodney posted.

Click on this >>>>What do y’all think about this , very interesting

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    ^^^^

Pretty much the same here, I treat fuel and keep my tank full year round, 11yrs with ethanol only and no issues.
    I just reread SilverFox post....I do NOT use fuel with ethanol added ONLY non-ethanol fuel as I posted. I still add the products I mentioned only in the off season.