Question Jack plate adjustment

Ran boat at full throttle.. nearly trimmed all the way up...It started trying to fish tail with me. Do i need to drop my jack plate

2. Member
    You need to check your prop to pad measurement to get your baseline to start.

3. Captain Paul
    Search the boards for prop to pad diagram. Read the description there to help you find the right position for your ride.
    RangerBasser
    Captain Paul, USCG Captain
    Merchant Marine XO

Ranger Z22 Comanche
    Mercury 300XS Racing

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbrad View Post
    Ran boat at full throttle.. nearly trimmed all the way up...It started trying to fish tail with me. Do i need to drop my jack plate
    Jbrad,
    We are missing a few things:
    What type of rig do you have? motor/ JP set up? prop?
    What do you mean by "fish tail"? is it trying to prop walk? where the stern seem to break loose toward starboard side. (your wheel side)
    You can get your detailed instruction for your Prop to Pad measurement at marksprops.com/faq.php which that is Mark Croxton prop site.
    BTW, some rigs when overtrimmed they will tend to walk more than others. Watch your RPMs and water pressure when doing any JP adj, and don't let your pressure run too low like below 10psi, which for some motors that may be too low.
    Just to give you some idea, my 2002 Cobra 201DC running '03 Merc 225 EFI on a 10" Slidemaster hanging at second hole, PtoP 2.875" below pad, 18psi water, Trophy Plus 25" PVS solid, tuned by Croxton, 74+ at 5700RPMs and she may walk a tad if I come off top too quickly without tapping trim down bit.
    29.jpg