Lake Murray Advice

Coming down from VA for a first time trip just to check the place out. I'll be fishing three and half days and staying at the State Park. Deep clear water is not my normal thing, but that's what I'm looking to get some experience with. Anyone have any helpful tips?

Also, looking at the state park on google maps it doesn't look like the ramp there has a dock alongside it? Is that true? That will make launching solo from an SUV an adventure lol.

Thanks!

B
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

2. Member
    Schooling bite was slow this year. At least for me! The lake is getting ready to turn over and most mid to lower lake fish are spread out and suspended. Head up lake and look for some color in the water and bait would be my advice.

3. Member
    Both ramps at the park have a dock next to them. You are talking about Dreher State Park right?

4. Member
    Yeah I must have been looking at the wrong thing on google maps then. It’s looking like rain and clouds during the time I’m supposed to be there... I’m willing to fish in the rain, but will that mess up the herring? That was the whole point of my trip there was to try a fall herring bite. If they’re going to be deep and scattered, I’d consider relocating my trip somewhere else.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

5. Member
    Well it turns out I can't cancel my reservation at Dreher Island without foreiting the money for it, so Lake Murray here I come lol. I'll have an open seat over the next couple of days if anyone wants to show me around in exchange for a day of fishing.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

6. Member
    so how did your trip go?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubz0r View Post
    Well it turns out I can't cancel my reservation at Dreher Island without foreiting the money for it, so Lake Murray here I come lol. I'll have an open seat over the next couple of days if anyone wants to show me around in exchange for a day of fishing.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

X2, how you end up on Murray? Fall was slow for me on the bass down there.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!