Did I fry my voltage regulator/rectifier (or worse, my ECU)?

2018 DF200A. I was out on the river today when I started getting random error codes, particularly when I gave it some throttle. My C10 showed voltage spikes of 9v - 16v and also behave strangely, acting haywire. Also, my fishfinder would shut off during turn key. I also noticed a little smoke coming from the cowling. Finally, the motor would shutoff without any beeps.

After cranking and shutting off trying to figure out the issue (obviously it had to be some voltage issue), I tightened down the battery connections (should've done this sooner). I started her up and everything seemed to be fixed. Voltage at idle was in the mid 13s, and during load was 14.5 with fluctuations of .1 or .2. My main concern was the smoke. The first suspect is the voltage regulator and rectifier. I did a cursory check taking off the cowling and it seemed okay. Obviously it was working on the water. Should I still switch out as a precaution? What else could cause a little bit of smoke?

My second concern is the ECU. Do these newer motors have protections built into the ECU? Obviously something happened as the motor shut itself down. I got her up to 3/4 throttle (boating conditions did not permit WOT) so maybe everything is fine? I'm struggling to understand how it works. The alternator supplies current to the battery. Bad connections causes alternator to fluctuate in voltage, stressing the rectifier/regulator. How does the ECU factor into this?

Common sense says that if it runs fine, it's okay, but I know electrical gremlins can manifest themselves later. The VRR is easy enough to obtain, but the ECU is very expensive!

2. Member
    I believe that the ECU's on these outboards are fuse protected. If you are concerned about the voltage regulator and rectifier or concerned about what smoked, I'd have your dealer check it out to be on the safe side because you if you did have a wire get hot, the insulation around it will break down and will cause headaches later on if it starts rubbing and shorting out.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    I'll let my dealer know when i take it in to get a hydraulic jack plate installed. I checked the regulator/rectifier more closely again and it looks flawless, wiring too, but I didn't take it off. I know the ECU's are fuse protected, but I think fuses don't protect from voltage spikes, correct? Would welcome any other input. I'm triple checking my battery connections when I can, and I think I just need to run it hard and often for peace of mind. The C10 gauges and the network seems fine, the motor ran fine after the incident, so maybe I'm just worried for nothing.

4. Member
    Without a battery to stabilize things a generator or an alternator can do strange things. I think Suzuki uses a water cooled regulator so it might be protected. I will say this I'd be concerned if I saw smoke.
    You have a big investment there. Look everything over. Are you sure it was smoke and not steam? The motor sometimes has steam coming from it near the water line.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Without a battery to stabilize things a generator or an alternator can do strange things. I think Suzuki uses a water cooled regulator so it might be protected. I will say this I'd be concerned if I saw smoke.
    You have a big investment there. Look everything over. Are you sure it was smoke and not steam? The motor sometimes has steam coming from it near the water line.
    Honestly, it could've just been steam, it dissipated relatively quickly and looked white, happened right after i put some load on it then stopped so maybe some water got into the exhaust, cool day. More importantly, the regulator looked fine and it didn't happen again after the problem was fixed
    Last edited by th365thli; 10-21-2019 at 02:00 PM.

6. Member
    I'll be taking her out again soon and will report back.

7. Member
    Keep us posted! My new Suzuki engine is suposed to be here tomorrow and having it installed next week.