250 PRO XS Skeg damage

I damaged my skeg and prop last week. I saw some old posts regarding dangers of weld repairs on a High Performance boat LU. Im running this through my insurance company and I am concerned that welding may be their preferred fix. Is there something from Mercury that I can use as leverage to ensure my LU housing gets replaced and not welded?
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Ed Mawyer
    2014 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Member
    If the motor is under a factory protection plan, then the motor must be returned to factory pre-accident condition, which means the case must be replaced. Fight the insurance company tell them you want a guarantee in writing that the welded skeg wont ever break and cause bodily harm to you and your passengers. Do not except a welded skeg. I have been in your shoes and if you pressure the insurance company hard enough, they will give in.

The factory warranty ran out like 7 days before this happened...and yes I had heard that. Thanks, I appreciate your advice and will use those tactics with the insurance.
    Ed Mawyer
    2014 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ed- what's your Serial Number (required when posting, BTW).

If you have any Product Protection Plan (Gold OR Platinum), the same standards apply.

Regardless, if your insurance company wants to insist on welding a HP "Torque-Tab" design skeg, you might consider another insurance company.

I won't repair ANY skeg on a boat that exceeds 55 MPH, as the liability is essentially "endless".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Hi Don, It's been a while.
    My S/N is 2B018503.
    Thanks for the advice! I haven't heard which direction they are going to try and go yet. Just trying to get my ducks lined up.
    Ed
    Ed Mawyer
    2014 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

Having a boat that runs close to 80mph, there is NO WAY I would run with a welded skeg. Make sure your dealer understands that you need an OEM LU and get the adjuster to understand why. Neither a welded skeg nor an SEI replacement are acceptable. If you have prop damage, I would bet you have internal damage as well.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

When I bent the skeg on my sports master the insurance guy found a bulletin from mercury that said no repairing on the skeg. He used that to justify, having the case replaced on mine. This was through Progessive.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

8. Member
    Progressive adjuster wanted to weld mine and that's when the battle started. They ended up paying for a new case.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C-riggVA View Post
    Hi Don, It's been a while.
    My S/N is 2B018503.
    Thanks for the advice! I haven't heard which direction they are going to try and go yet. Just trying to get my ducks lined up.
    Ed
    Ed:

Your Platinum Product Protection ended back in September (Factory Warranty ended in Sept. 2017).

It is always wise to have your dealer inspect the gearcase and write an estimate. After all, your insurance adjuster probably doesn't rebuild gearcases (or even sell gearcases), so be cautious letting "him" do all the inspecting and estimating. Some of them are great- and some will leave you with a big headache and small wallet.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks all! Hopefully things will go smoothly.
    Ed Mawyer
    2014 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS