Spare trolling motor

I just bought a new boat and I had an Ultrex installed and kept the brand new Fortrex as a spare or to sell. For you guys that carry a spare with you to tournaments, how do you store it? In a locker, in the truck? Has anyone fabricated some type of tote to keep it from getting beat up?

2. Member
    Personally, in my situation I have never had a trolling motor fail on the water. The rope may break, prop might fracture or a latch might stick, but total failure not. That's a lot of weight and takes up a lot of space, more inconvenience than usefulness IMHO. Carrying a spare prop, prop nut, rope and a pair of plyers sounds right to me.

3. Member
    I always carry a spare ever since I bought a ultrex. I’ve had 3 ultrex completely fail on me in tournaments. I keep a fortrex in the rod locker. It takes up some space but I can have it swapped out in less than 10mins.

Unless i am fishing for 10k or more...i wont carry my spare tm
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. Member
    I do not have pictures but I saw several carriers built for the bottom on a rod box. One of them was made of wood and the other was made from Marine Starboard. Simple design just keeps the motor snug at the bottom of your rod box. I saw another a guy made to keep his spare in the back of his pickup.

In the truck, mine has a plate bolted to the bottom of the whole fortrex including bracket and does not slide around or get beaten up.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089